Help with a photo request.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a photo request.

I just got a photo request from, errrr, airliners.net. I don't want to just give a price right away and ask too much or ask too little. Here's the email I got:
    Jordan,
    Are you willing to sell your photos for commercial use? I am interested in the learjet 23, tail number N824LJ taken in Michigan in the spring of 2006.

Please let me know if you are interested and what kind of fee you require.
    thank you,
    Here's the photo.
    The email was from someone at the FBO that owns the airplane.
    Thanks in advance.

What are they using it for? Is it for profit? Will you retain copyright or will they get full rights to it?

Comment

They just said for "commercial use". I'm assuming they mean they'll use it on their website or in their publications or something.

Comment

I'd ask specifically what for. If it's for a website, I wouldn't sell it for too much. I've sold photos for like $20-50 here and there. Southwest used one of mine for a free non-rev must-ride ticket for their calendar (but that was because they were printing a bunch of them).

Comment

I got another email. They want the photo for a quarterly magazine.
          "I would require a photo at least 1/2 page and 300 dpi."
          I'm not really sure how much to charge, as I haven't really sold pics before. Like I said I don't want to go too high and I don't want to go too low for a price.
          Any help's appreciated.
          Thanks.

Comment

I think I would ask maybe $50 or so for that.

Comment

I just decided to ask them to make an offer and send me a copy of the magazine. I've asked specific prices before and I never heard from the people again. I also took into account the fact that they're probably going to be buying a lot more pictures so I didn't want to ask too much.

Comment

I have had 3 of my pics published. When I was asked for permission to publish the pics, I was told that there would be no payment. My response to this was that I certainly am not looking for cash for a hobby that I enjoy and secondly, (This was from the Dutch Aviation Society) if ever I had the opportunity to visit them, I would be allowed "free access" to shoot. The end version was I received free copies of the publication as well as invites to shoot if ever I got down that way as well as an offer of a flip in a Fokker Friendship. Who know's one day I may get to Amsterdam !!!!!!
                RobB

Comment

It's for their quarterly magazine, which is a free publication. I'm guessing they aren't going to be paying that much, but that's ok.

Comment

Last picture I had published in a magazine I was offered £25 which was fine by me. Thats around the $50 mark I guess.

If it's a free publication then maybe charge a little less. At least that way they might come back to you for further pictures. It's worked that way for me.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X