Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots and Photography

Hi,

I have always wondered if Commerical Pilots also have time to get to the airport and do some avaition photography. I was wondering because in the near future i will become a pilot and also have a strong passion for avaiton photography and was wondering if i could fallow these 2 passions at the same time? Any comments would be welcomed

What I wonder is this...there are SO many pilots out there (commercial, corporate, GA) but it seems like only a select few browse online forums or visit sites like Anet or JP. The numbers are even lower for posting on those forums (AOPA, JetCareers, StudentPilot, etc). Seriously, what is everyone doing? I go to the airport (SFZ) and find TONS of GA planes, but when I google the tail numbers, I get nothing about them other than the FAA information. You'd think that if people loved their planes so much they'd at least put photos online to show others. If I had my own plane, I'd be posting pictures and giving advise everywhere! I just don't know...

Comment

Why wouldn't you be able to pursue both at the same time? Pilots aren't that busy.
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Crism u bring up a great point and i totally agree what ur saying

Well let me kinda refrase what i was saying, When a pilot off duty in a city such as Dallas or somehting and it isnt his home city and they stay in a hotel with the crew and everything do they get the chance to go out to the airport and spot and explore the city or are they confined to the hotel until there next scheudled flight, and are pilots allowed onto the ramp in there off time?

Comment

I really enjoy my profession and my hobby....combining them is a bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
            And the rest of us just envy you

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
              AJ I would love to know what your colleagues think of this hobby. In particular I have occasionally been told that pilots object to being clearly recognisable in a photo.
              Is this the case?
              I usually try to make sure that a clear view is obscured but this is not always possible.

Regards,

Chris

Comment

Chefs dont like to cook at home, much as most people dont like to take their work home woth them. I imagine it`s much the same for a lot of pilots once the novelty of the job wears off and they just want to be at home with the wife and kids!

Comment

Well, I think there is also a large amount of pilots flying each day an airliner and don´t pay much attention in aviation in their leisure time. For them it´s propably only their proffesion

It´s the same if youl would work in the car industry and would go out to shoot every car passing your house....

Cheers,
                  Philipp

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Planepictures.net
                  Click Here to view my aircraft photos at Airliners.net

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                    Pilots aren't that busy.
                    hah, very funny

Comment

When you're in school you're very busy. Once you're out of school and working you have plenty of time. You have your work days, and you have your non-work days. The pilot who lives across the street from me works 3-4 days a week and is off either 3 or 4. To me that equals not that busy.
                      Tanner Johnson - Owner
                      twenty53 Photography

Comment

When you're in school you're very busy. Once you're out of school and working you have plenty of time. You have your work days, and you have your non-work days. The pilot who lives across the street from me works 3-4 days a week and is off either 3 or 4. To me that equals not that busy.

you're basing this off of one of your neighbors?

Comment

Yes, I remember how my father used to come home everyday after a trip, open a beer, and sink into the couch for the rest of the night.

Its not like he had constant company related buisness that he had to attend on many of his days off, or when he didn't it isn't like he'd spend most of the day sound asleep in bed after being very sleep deprived after flying at all hours the past few days. He always had nothing BUT time to do whatever he wanted while he was with United.

Pause.

NOT!
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by cja
                            AJ I would love to know what your colleagues think of this hobby. In particular I have occasionally been told that pilots object to being clearly recognisable in a photo.
                            Is this the case?
                            I usually try to make sure that a clear view is obscured but this is not always possible.

Regards,

Chris
                            I always ask the Captain and anyone who is in the photo, as well has having overall approval from my manager in the airline.

Tanner, I'd watch out for generalisations.

Comment

Why wouldn't you be able to pursue both at the same time? Pilots aren't that busy.
                              Grant I'm only starting out.
                              But after 12 hour duty days and 6 hours of flying 5 days a week the last thing I wanna do is see an airplane. That and maybe I get a little too caught up in the labor issues with airlines. If I'm at an airport and I see the different airlines the first thing I think of its how much they pay and how low their hour requirements are and I start getting depressed...especially here in St. Louis.
                              Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Working...
                              X