Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standards

"I know the standards are much higher here, but it is still off-putting."

I have taken this from a thread posted on the other site because it seems to reflect the common views of almost every photographer that I have ever spoken to.

In my view the standards here are not lower than ANET but different. Jpnet allows photos that its visitors will enjoy as long as they meet certain basic quality standards. The other site only allows pictures of a certain technical standard or rareity value regardless of whether or not they are an interseting photo.

This is reflected in the increasing viewing figures at JPnet and the exodus of photogarphers from the other site who are not part of "the in crowd."
    Last edited by cja; 2007-03-16, 00:53.

I quite like the standards here, because JP knows what it is: a site for enthusiasts and hobbyists, not a site for near-professional photographers with the very best equipment, thousands of hours of expierience, ties to get them airside to tons of airports, and trips to SXM every other month. JP knows that the vast majority of the online aviation community is just a group of weekenders with moderately afordable equiptment, who go out to the local airport and shoot for a bit and have a good time. As long as the photos meet basic composition features, JP'll show them for you. That's why I'm proud to be known as an "other-siter".

Comment

Jp.net

I agree with the above comments.

I find the whole uploading experience to be a lot friendlier here than a.net.

My Stuff on The Web

http://www.ryanhothersall.net/

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Its nice to know our hard work doesnt go un-noticed.

Comment

I've found A.NET being more a group of "trusted" contributors than anything else. I've attempted to submit photos to them on several occasions that were unique and rare and none of them made it to A.NET but were readily accepted here in spite of the fact that the same day several pictures were accepted to A.NET that were extremely grainy and one was out of focus, but they were all from contributors that had thousands of photos to their name. There is a train-oriented website that has this same view of railroad photos - if it's not something that they can sell or not from someone that they "trust", it doesn't make the cut, no matter how unique or "interesting" a photo may be.

That's why I don't use the other site much anymore. When I get some time this spring and summer to spend time taking photos, I'll start re-submitting here because I know that I'll be given a fair shake.

Comment

Well ive almost stopped all uploading to airwhiners, its just not worth the bother anymore. I think jp.net is fast catching up to airwhiners as the more preferred option for photographers

Comment

I don't think airwhiners.net has any photos online (although our own parody site, crapphotos.net, does...and they're pretty crappy).

Comment

I guess I am comfortable with the standards of both sites. If something gets rejected, it is, and I just move on (unless I really care about a particular photo in which case I start over and try again). I've only recently gotten into aviation photography even though I've been a photographer for years and I think, with the rising pace of technology, now is probably a bad time to get into this hobby. Another thing with "quality" standards is that it's a double-edged sword. If the standards rise to a point where the margin of error is so small that a shot can be "soft" on my expensive graphic arts tube monitor while "way oversharp" on my laptop... I start to wonder.

I don't see why both communities can't coexist, competition is always good in life. There's a lot of friendly people who visit both sites and forums and we're all in this because of the planes, right?

The only issue I have is that the additional JPEG compression jp.net adds to uploads disheartens me. I understand that conserving bandwidth and disk space is an objective, but it's not stated anywhere on the upload form and I would rather have a maximum size limit on uploads that I can try to optimize my images for instead of getting a second hit of lossy compression. I've seen it take 300KB images and turn them into 100KB images - and the results are often not too nice if there's a deep blue sky. It takes an element of control out of the hands of the photographer. I would much rather save it at 10 quality out of PS and get a 130KB image and upload that instead of saving at 12 quality, getting a 300KB image, and then getting it hit with another pass of compression.

Comment

Originally posted by dvincent
                  If the standards rise to a point where the margin of error is so small that a shot can be "soft" on my expensive graphic arts tube monitor while "way oversharp" on my laptop... I start to wonder.

I don't see why both communities can't coexist, competition is always good in life. There's a lot of friendly people who visit both sites and forums and we're all in this because of the planes, right?
                  I think you have hit the nail on the head with both of those comments.

Comment

JP is my first place to upload, I can take 10 images that have been accepted here and 75% will be rejected there for quality, grainy or oversharpened.

I've done nothing different to these photos which is what kills me. Some times I'll have luck on there, other times I get so discouraged I don't bother.

I'm not reworking all my photo's to their standards so I just won't bother....

Comment

Originally posted by dvincent
                      I agree. Sadly there are plenty of people who have the maturity level of a 5 year old and have to refer to jetphotos as "the other site" as well as a.net being "the blue site." There's also that bunch that insist on only uploading to a.net, cause they need a challenge in their life or whatever... good choice pff.

I personally upload to both sites, so do most of the photographers I know. The more exposure the better right? When I get a rejection I normally just live with it, unless its a shot I really like, I'm to lazy to re-edit it.

I'm also certain that jetphotos.net is growing in popularity. As proof, for about the first year all my usage requests came from a.net. However in the last couple of months I've noticed a lot coming from jetphotos, equalling that from a.net. Sadly neither reply when I mention money lol.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Working...
                      X