Copyright and authors' rights???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright and authors' rights???

Once again, one of my photos was used without my authorization. This time the photo was published in the most “prestigious” newspaper of the country.

They didn’t even give any photo credits next to the photo, and was used to illustrate an article of an aviation topic (The article was from ACAN/EFE).

I wrote an e-mail to the editor, and he said that the photo was in their database and therefore he could use it!!! Can you believe this! He told me that he didn’t knew who the author of the photo was (great work he is doing as the editor, if he doesn’t even check de source of the photos).

Apparently the authors’ rights law are well established in Costa Rica, there are law about the rights but there is actually no way to fight for the right of a photo that was published without your authorization unless it was registered into the National Registry of Intellectual Property (like if any photographer would register all of their photos, that’s nonsense!).

I was told by the editor that they would pay me, they haven’t made an offer yet, but what really annoys me is that he didn’t even gave me an apology. I won’t accept their normal payment for a photo (which is about $10), because they didn’t credit me and we didn’t had a prior agreement on the photo usage.

I did ask them to delete any of my photos from their database.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
    Daniel Umaña
    Aviation photography of Costa Rica :rolleyes:
    www.AviacionCR.net

View my photos at Jetphotos.net
    View my photos at AviacionCR.net

I saw a lot of 's in that post lol.

Sue their asses!

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
      I saw a lot of 's in that post lol.

Sue their asses!
      Sure, I can do that, but it will be more expensive to hire a lawyer than what they are going to pay me!

Honestly I only wanted and apology from them, and credits. But since they couldn't even do that... I want some money!!! This is an expensive hobby anyway
      Daniel Umaña
      www.AviacionCR.net

View my photos at AviacionCR.net

Comment

Photo

The photo can be seen here
        Daniel Umaña
        www.AviacionCR.net