This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
    I think it needs to be mentioned that yesterday we broke a site record for most visitors in a 24 hour period.
    Awesome

All i know is I busted my most views ever by over 4000

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!
      I think it needs to be mentioned that yesterday we broke a site record for most visitors in a 24 hour period.
      Incredible.

The A380 is "newsworthy" in the general American press even though it's old hat for us. People wanted to see it, the hubbub will die down in a week and people will upload fixed photos. Clearly a net positive for the site but lessons were learned.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
        However the problem that might exist between the interest in a photo and its quality might happen again.

The A380 were well covered by many phtographers so rejecting a few photos would not have affected the overall coverage (nor did accepting those pictures have any negative effects), but there might be a case in which a newsworthy incident might only be covered by a single photographer who uploads sub-standard photos of that event.

Now I am really asking, would you rahter not see those photos because they are soft, backlit ot blurry, or would you rather see those photos despite their technical faults
        Absolutly agree with that.

Comment

Now I am really asking, would you rahter not see those photos because they are soft, backlit ot blurry, or would you rather see those photos despite their technical faults
          The event was newsworthy, and well done to j.net for priority screening these photos, but i believe that some sort of minimum standard should still apply. Now what that standard is should be determined by the crew.

And as AJ put it, some should use the re-upload option available to us to correct
          some mistakes visible in some shots.
          My photos on J.net

Comment

I was not talking about the A380 event, I wanted to make clear that there will always be a problem when it comes to accepting newsworthy photos that are below the usual standard.

Imagine an exampel.

A smaller airport somewhere in the US. A cargo aircraft takes off, has an engine failure, fails to take-off and burns, while the crew escapes unharmed. Now we get 3-4 shots from the whole event that are blurry and backlit. Accept or reject ?

Comment

I was not talking about the A380 event...... Accept or reject ?
              I wasn't really either, just priority in general.

As i did mention above Stefan, it is up to the crew to come up with a 'priority' standard of acceptability.

If that means that the priority standard would allow the photos to have X amount of flaws in the photo thats fine.

as for reject or accept, if there was a standard in place and it said that 2 flaws were acceptable for priority photos then accept, if not, reject.
              My photos on J.net

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maier
                I wasn't really either, just priority in general.

As i did mention above Stefan, it is up to the crew to come up with a 'priority' standard of acceptability.

If that means that the priority standard would allow the photos to have X amount of flaws in the photo thats fine.

as for reject or accept, if there was a standard in place and it said that 2 flaws were acceptable for priority photos then accept, if not, reject.
                Having less than x number of flaws and be acceptable is a bad way of looking at it. Ie, with the plane crashing example, with one photog, the rules should be less strict than something like the A380s first US visit because of the amount of people who will be submitting photos for that event.
                Sam Rudge
                A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

That is what I meant. And considering the number of visitors for the A380 event, even those substandard pics did find many interested viewers.

Comment

Anyhow, i think that the issue of 'substandard' pics for priority screening will forever remain controversial.
                    My photos on J.net

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Jet
                      So as terrible as I imagine it must be for some of you to be forced to click on these photos and wither in agony at awful, unsightly flaws like "blue tint"...

I don't understand why some people are so upset if a few photos that they don't think meet 'quality control' get posted. There are what, 700,000 shots on the site? So maybe a few, of an unusual event, get posted that aren't top notch. How does this affect you? It sounds like some people here had trouble sleeping knowing that some 'subpar' shots made it onto a public photo sharing website.
                      Last edited by gdg9; 2007-03-24, 16:01.
                      DFW Tower.com

Comment

I can't believe this topic is still going on & on & on, what's done is done it's water under the bridge.

Let's move on.

Comment

Those photos would be acceptable because they're "rare." In comparison, A380 photos are not rare by any means.
                          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                          X