Lens Hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens Hoods

Why is it that they make the crown-shaped typed lens hoods for only certain lenses? I'm looking for a couple of those, one for my Canon 18-55mm and one for my Canon 75-300mm (non IS). I've looked around, but they only seem to make the round-type for these, not the crown looking type. Is this true?

The difference in lens hood design depends on the field of view of the lens and how light will fall on the front elemant. Each hood is designed to combat flare for the shape of the element of the lens.

Generally most wide lenses have petal saped hoods and the long lenses have normal hoods. This is due to the F.O.V of the lens.

Chris
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

The shorter lenses with an aperture of 2.8 have the crown shape. I believe this stops at the 70-200 f2.8 and from there the 300 2.8 and up have the full hood.

Why do you want the crown shape over the regular...they do the same thing.
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
        The shorter lenses with an aperture of 2.8 have the crown shape. I believe this stops at the 70-200 f2.8 and from there the 300 2.8 and up have the full hood.

Why do you want the crown shape over the regular...they do the same thing.
        I guess I thought they looked more professional. But if its a functionality thing, then I will go round.

Comment

Originally posted by chris78cpr
          The difference in lens hood design depends on the field of view of the lens and how light will fall on the front elemant. Each hood is designed to combat flare for the shape of the element of the lens.

Generally most wide lenses have petal saped hoods and the long lenses have normal hoods. This is due to the F.O.V of the lens.

Chris
          Not necessarily.

The true technical reason for being able to implement a petal shaped lens hood vs a round hood is whether the lens has a rotating front element. If the front element does not turn when zooming or focusing, then a petal-style hood would be technically possible. A petal style hood would not work on a lens with a rotating front element (as many tele and zoom lenses used to be) as the petals would rotate and not keep an even rectangular shade.

You are correct in that traditional round lens hoods are often found on long fixed-focus telephoto lenses because they don't need to cover a wide angle since they do not zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyG
            I guess I thought they looked more professional. But if its a functionality thing, then I will go round.

Using an 18-55 and 75-300 is far from being professional. Work with what you're given and there's no need to try and make it look "better" than what it is.

Don't take this as an attack on you, but this is the problem with aviation photography. Half the time photographers are worried about what their equipment looks like than what they can do with it.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

Working...
            X