Macdill Air Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macdill Air Show

I was there yesterday, and I had a great time and got a severe sunburn.

Only thing that sucked was that when it came time for the Blue Angels to perform, the sun was completely in the wrong place, resulting in most of my photos being backlit. I decided to head to the parking lot in the middle of their performance to try and beat some of the crowds, and I managed to snap a couple of well lit shots of the Angels from there.

I anticipated the possibility of bad sun angle during the time of their performance, and should have just gone to the parking lot to shoot the entire show. Oh well, live and learn. I will be posting my shots from the show here soon.

Anyone else from here there yesterday?

That's a problem with many air shows. The main performers are usually last which usually is at a time when the sun is high in the sky.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

we have 2 air show fields up here that blow in the afternoon, NAS Brunswick and my home field of Pease. Both suffer shooting into the sun in the afternoon.

Luckily Barnes and Quonset both have the sun at your backs in the afternoon when the last demos go up, it's just more difficult in the AM instead

Comment

I fell your pain, here at CIAS in Toronto the sun is in your face the whole day, what sucks even more is the fact that its always a top notch show.

Look foward to seeing your shots SammyG

Comment

Here's a few. Please feel free to comment about whether or not any of them are uploadable, as I feel some are borderline.

Comment

I think the two shots on the ground are the only ones with a chance. However, the black lady with the 732 bothers me for some reason.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

yeah, the two static ones would be the only two I would try. Nice lighting on the Raptor shot!

Not sure if the 732 would get a "backlit" rejection as by their definition it is backlit....

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks!

I was reading that the Thunderbirds will be in Ft Lauderale in early May. I got lucky and found Southwest tickets from Orlando to FLL and back the same day, total cost $118!! So it will be very nice not to have to drive all the way down there and back from Orlando. Will be my first time seeing the Tbirds, and my first time flying Southwest.

Comment

Yeah the light was pretty tough, but I had a great time both days, hanging out with friends and just watching the action. Here are a couple of shots...

[photoid=5950329]

[photoid=5949752]

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

just out of curiosity did you guys happen to see an airtran 737-700 awefully low that day? I was on board participating (jumpseat =) ) in a 1000 ft (+/-) fly over of the Honda Grand Prix. I was wondering if any of you happened to have pics from the ground since we were so close to Macdill..
                    In every organization, there will always be one person who knows what's going on. This person must be fired.

Comment

Working...
                    X