Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAT 2007 - getting there...

Hi guys,

My question is if there is a way to get from Stansted Airport to Fairford using public transportation. I wanted to get a rental car but it seems that people under the age of 23 are not allowed to get one. Everywhere else in Europe the minumum age is 21

Anyway, I would be glad if someone knows a way to get to and from the airshow.

Thanks.
    Last edited by philip; 2007-05-27, 19:24.
    greetings,
    Philip

Hi Philip,

The minimum car rental age in the UK is 21, just as across Europe. I would recommend getting one, as the trek from Stansted to Fairford is very much cross-country, and would probably take a good long time on public transport!

A multi-national such as Hertz, Europcar etc., should be able to rent you a Fiesta / Ka or similar quite cheaply for the week(end).

Comment

Philip,

I'll be going from LHR to Fairford(stayin at Kempsford) on Friday evening with a rental car so if you can get to LHR, you can get LHR-Fairford transportation with our rental car. Unfortenately I can't offer a return trip as we'll be heading up to Manchester after the show. If you're interrested, just shout me over at MSN or with a private message and we'll discuss more.

//Olli
      http://ovp.fi

Comment

Originally posted by RobJ
        Hi Philip,

The minimum car rental age in the UK is 21, just as across Europe. I would recommend getting one, as the trek from Stansted to Fairford is very much cross-country, and would probably take a good long time on public transport!

A multi-national such as Hertz, Europcar etc., should be able to rent you a Fiesta / Ka or similar quite cheaply for the week(end).
        Well, I've been to the websites of Hertz, Avis and Europcar and all of these have minimum age 23 in the UK...

So if anyone knows a rental company which offers cars to a 21 year old (driving licence since 4 years) I'd be very thankful!
        greetings,
        Philip

Comment

Originally posted by Olli Vainio
          Philip,

I'll be going from LHR to Fairford(stayin at Kempsford) on Friday evening with a rental car so if you can get to LHR, you can get LHR-Fairford transportation with our rental car. Unfortenately I can't offer a return trip as we'll be heading up to Manchester after the show. If you're interrested, just shout me over at MSN or with a private message and we'll discuss more.

//Olli
          Thanks a lot for the offer Olli! I will arrive on Friday afternoon as well and getting to LHR should not be a problem... I will think about it and will contact you soon.

Thanks again!
          greetings,
          Philip

Comment

We're hiring a minicoach from Heathrow on Wednesday evening.
            I guess that's a tad to early for you.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by philip
              So if anyone knows a rental company which offers cars to a 21 year old (driving licence since 4 years) I'd be very thankful!
              Philip, I had a quick look for hire cars and came up with:

http://www.car-rental-hire.co.uk/car_rental_booking.htm

You must have held a full driving licence* for at least a year. * Holders of non-EU licences: You may drive in the UK for up to 12 months from the time you become resident. After 12 months your overseas licence will be deemed illegal in the UK and it must be exchanged for the UK equivalent
              You must have a Visa, American Express, Mastercard or Switch (subject to credit check). Solo, Electron or Visa delta cards are not accepted. The cardholder of the card used to book must pick up the motor vehicle, and must be a named driver of the rental car.
              You are at least 21 years of age to drive a hired motor car. - larger engined vehicles have a higher age limit. The web site will take your age into account when booking rented cars.
              or

http://www.nationalcar.co.uk/rentalpolicies/630/uk/AGE

Below are National's policies on age requirements:
              • The primary renter of the vehicle must be 21 years of age.
              • Rental rates may be higher for renters aged 21 - 24.
              • Certain specialty and larger sized vehicles may not be rented to younger drivers.
              or

http://www.enterprise.co.uk/car_rental/home.do

Enterprise Rent-A-Car Age Policy for UK Car Rentals*
              • For Car Classes A, B, C, D: Renter must be aged 21 or above.
              • For Car Classes E and above, including vans and people carriers: Renter must be aged 25 or above.
              Have a look on their websites, good luck and see you in Fairford!!
              Murt
              Last edited by turbotraker; 2007-05-31, 08:22.

Comment

Working...
              X