Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another lens advice thread...

Hi all...

I'm going to get a new telephoto lens, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon 35-350 and the Sigma 50-500. The Canon, tho older, is L glass. The Sigma is newer, but not quite L glass quality, and a little more expensive.

Photozone hasn't done a review of the Bigma yet, but has good things to say about the Canon. Reviews of the Bigma have been good, most just saying it's heavy.

Just wondering the thoughts of my fellow aviation enthusiasts who have used one or the other, or both. How to they compare quality wise, AF, and lack of cromatic abbrations? Both lenses have produced some great shots on this site!

Please note I'm only interested in these two lenses, as I've determined that these are the two that suit my needs the best.

Thanks in advance!
    Brian
    Last edited by SPOT THIS; 2007-05-29, 15:50.
    I like my aircraft how I like my women...old Russian smokers!

Planes, and girls, and stuff...SeriouslyFunny Photography.
    http://myspace.com/seriouslyfunny11

If they see this it will be a Jid vs. Dale thread...

Jid = 35-350
    Dale = 50-500

Comment

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=2
      vs.
      http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=27&page=2

Good luck on your decision I'm happy to have the 100-400mm

Gerardo
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
        If they see this it will be a Jid vs. Dale thread...

Jid = 35-350
        Dale = 50-500

That's what I was hoping for!

Boys...Recruit me!

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
          Dale = 50-500
          How id love to hear Dale flight on this one in the state he is in at the moment over in SXM!
          E-Mail Me - My Photo's - My Photographer Profile

Comment

If you want just one lense to cover most situations, I think 35mm is more handy then 500mm at 6.3
            My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
            My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
            ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Hey Gland...
              you know I'll vote for the 50-500 don't u ?

Alex

Comment

I love my Bigma, you can't beat the range for the price. I know a few people who have it as well for both Canon and Nikon and they don't regret it.

300-350mm normally isn't enough for aircraft IMO.

Comment

Hey B,

That's why most people refer to the "Bigma" as a tank becuase it is built like one. Personally, I thought about that lense, but just thinking about carrying that glass for several hours. That doesn't sound too fun or seriouslyfunny.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
                    Hey Gland...
                    you know I'll vote for the 50-500 don't u ?

Alex
                    Knowing your track record with gear breaking...I'm keeping whatever I get FAR away from you!

I've heard back from a few photographers I really respect (not you Alex ) and they can't say enuff good things about the Bigma.

I'm really leaning towards the Bigma now, and I should be purchasing it this week, unless someone can make a case for the Canon 35-350L.

...and damnit why isn't my banner working?!
                    Last edited by SPOT THIS; 2007-05-30, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by gocaps16
                      Hey B,

That's why most people refer to the "Bigma" as a tank becuase it is built like one. Personally, I thought about that lense, but just thinking about carrying that glass for several hours. That doesn't sound too fun or seriouslyfunny.
                      I've had mine for over a year, I'm at air shows from 7:30am till they kick me out normally around 6pm or so. What I've done, and have seen others to is rotate the mounting ring to the top so it's a handle.

You're not a "girly man" are you (Hans and Frans quote)

Comment

Originally posted by SPOT THIS
                        Knowing your track record with gear breaking...I'm keeping whatever I get FAR away from you!
                        only when you're around... Like me, my gear seems to be allergic to you...
                        about the weight, when I tried the bigma for a few moments I didn't had the feeling it was that heavy... not worst than my 70-200 2.8 at least... not the kind of zoom you'll keep around your neck all day long but still very easy... and with that lense you'll look like any russian spotter next summer

Say hi to Hobbes

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
                          I've had mine for over a year, I'm at air shows from 7:30am till they kick me out normally around 6pm or so. What I've done, and have seen others to is rotate the mounting ring to the top so it's a handle.

You're not a "girly man" are you (Hans and Frans quote)
                          As for the tripod handle, mine is the same way on my lense. As for "girly man"...nah, im not, I opted to spend twice as much for the 80-400VR.

Comment

Bigma...3000 photos between the 2 sites can't be all bad!

next trips
                            USA/DXB August.

Comment

The Bigma is a great choice!

Comment

Working...
                              X