Calling the airport police.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling the airport police.

Some time last year I was taking pictures in an abandoned lot area by SDF when the airport cops came up and told me they didn't mind if I took pictures, as long as I called them and let them know before hand. Airport security around here is pretty inconsistent because sometimes they'll just wave at you and keep driving (even when I was standing right next to the fence... on private property) or they'll come up and take down our license plates and identification (on what was, as far as I know, public property). Would actually calling the airport cops beforehand and letting them know that I'd be spotting help at all? I'm worried that the person who ends up answering won't know what the hell I'm talking about, or a different cop will come by and ask me to leave or something. Would calling them be a good idea or not? Security seems to be getting tighter around here and I've seen them make some people leave (who weren't even taking pics).

Hmmm could be a good idea. I may consider doing it next time I spot at SJC, they've been shooing people off recently.
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I do it all the time, Airport Police and Airport Opps. What normally happens is when I'm confronted I tell the officer that I called ahead and he'll take down my info then go in his car and call dispatch or whatever and they tell him I'm good and I get a friendly wave and thats the end of it.

Its really funny though when a cop on a power surge comes out and when he/she finds out I've called ahead they look a little dissapointed lol.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Sounds like it's worth a shot then. If only I could find the damn number.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
          Sounds like it's worth a shot then. If only I could find the damn number.
          (502) 368-6524 - Louisville Regional Airport Authority...give them a hollar and ask for the police dept.

Or get a job on the field like I did...that way you can get ON the field and take pictures

I haven't spotted outside the fence in months. I should probably start up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
            (502) 368-6524 - Louisville Regional Airport Authority...give them a hollar and ask for the police dept.

Or get a job on the field like I did...that way you can get ON the field and take pictures

I haven't spotted outside the fence in months. I should probably start up again.
            Awesome. I love y... err, thank you.

Comment

Joey, what exactally do you tell them when you call?

"I'm going to be taking pictures of aircraft at this location." or do you ask for permission?
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

If they told you to do it, wouldn't being safer better than sorry?
                Tanner Johnson - Owner
                twenty53 Photography

Comment

At BDL I usually take my chances as there is always the chance they say no or ask to explain stuff which I really don't like doing. Especially if you get a really retarded person working the phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                    At BDL I usually take my chances as there is always the chance they say no or ask to explain stuff which I really don't like doing. Especially if you get a really retarded person working the phones.
                    That's what I'm worried about. Getting some jackass who doesn't know what I (or they) are talking about.

Comment

Then ask to talk to someone who does. Always get names when communicating.
                      Tanner Johnson - Owner
                      twenty53 Photography

Comment

When I was going to Manchester NH, I called their public affairs person. Told them that I'm an aviation photographer who wanted to come down and catch some airliners on the approach end.

He gave me his cell # and told me to give him a heads up so he would let the police know I was already checked out.

It can't hurt, at Pease, most of the security already know me and aren't an issue unless the President comes in to get to Kennebunkport ME.

Comment

I called them before I went out today and they just asked where I'd be and what kind of car we'd be in. They did warn us that the cops were having to kick a lot of drunks and potheads out of the area lately, so the city cops might come by and ask what's up. Other than that he said they didn't mind and thanked me for letting them know.

Comment

Working...
                          X