A question for Malta regulars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for Malta regulars...

Well then, following my recent, very enjoyable Maltese holiday I have to say that I've NEVER had so many unlevel horizon rejects !!

What's the secret guys ? I couldn't find one single lamp pole that's vertical and some of the background buildings don't seem to be particularly vertical either, which is surprising considering they're built on solid rock.

When you're shooting from the platform what do you use for a level source ? With the buildings so far in the background they're generally too blurred, either as a result of depth of field or panning blur.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

You're right, light poles and flagpoles are pretty unreliable. I try to go by the verticals on the buildings but sometimes you just have to take a sort of average. Also, you have to see whether the photo looks OK overall. Why not post a couple of rejects?

Comment

OK, here's a couple. Incidentally, reprocessed and accepted. For the Islander I eventually used a different, better pic. but these were two of the rejects.

http://jetphotos.net/img/2/3/6/0/57979_1180444063.jpg

http://jetphotos.net/img/1/2/7/5/70819_1180444572.jpg

Please understand that I'm not criticising the screener decisions but if I do eventually come to live in Malta I might as well get it right sooner rather than later

Comment

Sorry for the delayed reply Brian. I think the problem in both shots is that you rotated to level the runway, whereas it should properly appear slanted when shooting at that angle from the spotting platform. This shot is an example:

[photoid=5966318]

If you level the runway the background will look unlevel and this is particularly the case in your second shot.

Getting it right is often a matter of trial and error but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Charles

Comment

.......you rotated to level the runway, whereas it should properly appear slanted when shooting at that angle from the spotting platform.
          Quite correct. I took another look at some of my wider angle shots and that runway certainly has a few lumps and bumps in it !! Your example also graphically shows the problem of finding a clearly defined vertical to use as a reference line.

Thanks for the comments.

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
            Quite correct. I took another look at some of my wider angle shots and that runway certainly has a few lumps and bumps in it !! Your example also graphically shows the problem of finding a clearly defined vertical to use as a reference line.

Thanks for the comments.

Brian.
            Well usually when I use light poles to determine level, after all the levelling, if there are any buildings in the background, I zoom on them and see whether the windows are vertically straight and if the buildings are slanted.... (You can't build a slanted house!). Don't worry, its not only you who gets all those unlevel horizon rejections

Ruben

Comment

Brian,

I understand your frustration, brother!

Some zooms also tend to "circle" the straight lines at the sides of the photo, so the poles to the extreme left slant towards the left, and those to the extreme right slant rightwards.

I agree with Charles that 32/14 and the spotters' wall make an interesting challenge.

Small history lesson. When 32/14 was extended in the seventies/ early eighties, nobody bothered to make sure that the runway retained the same gradient throughout. Hence, it is slightly "sagged down" in the middle.

24/06 is the other way round... with a hump in the middle!

Personally, I try to take a refernce with the grid on my D70 / D80, mainly keeping with the arches at the terminal building, but I also don't fill the frame too much to leave room for some rotation!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

Working...
              X