• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon L lenses

Hi guys,

I am thinking about purchasing the following lenses soon:
    Canon 300mm L USM f4
    Canon 70-200mm L USM f2.8

I have already made up my mind about the 70-200 as I tried it before and it was the sharpest lens I ever used. The IS version is too expensive for me but I think at this focal lenght I can do without.

Does anyone have some advice about the 300mm prime? On several reviews it is said that the non-IS version is even sharper than the one with stabilizer. Of course it is also a matter of price and I am not a big fan of IS anyway...I hardly ever switch it on on my 100-400. Would be great to get some opinions about that one especially in combination with a 1,4x Extender - I need some decent airshow equipment

Thanks guys!
    greetings,
    Philip

You can find a used 70-200 2.8 IS for the price of a new one without IS if you want to go that route. Or you can find a used 70-200 for around 8-900.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

I've tried both IS and non-IS version of the 300 and own the IS-version, I'd say the difference is marginal and IS will help a lot with long focal lengths. Get the IS version if you can.
      http://ovp.fi

Comment

Thanks guys!

Tanner, the market for used quality L lenses is quite small in Austria and Germany so it will be hard to get one on ebay. I dont have good experience with used stuff in in general, better spend a few more bucks and be sure.

Olli, thanks a lot I will look out for one with IS. Have you ever tried yours with the converter? How does it manage low light situations?

Thanks again
        greetings,
        Philip

Comment

I would try Fred Miranda. People ship all over the world.

I've never had bad experience with used equipment, but I guess it's becuase of where I buy it. I'd still look into it. I see the 300's all the time.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Phillip , the 300mm f/4 L IS performs sweeet with the 1.4X TC II on it. this lens really excels around f/8 and I won't be trading it in for a night with Paris Hilton anytime soon !
            You might also want to consider the 70-200 F/4 L IS if you want the same quality build with IS properties.

some examples:

300mm F/4 L IS
            [photoid=5989314]
            [photoid=5977324]
            [photoid=5957371]

With Converter:
            [photoid=5947215]
            [photoid=5947164]
            Last edited by Will M; 2007-06-12, 04:45.

Comment

Great, thanks a lot for the tips! I will decide on it soon as I'd like to shoot with the lenses at the Air Tattoo..

Tanner, who or what is Fred Miranda, got a link or something please!?

Great shots btw. Will!
              greetings,
              Philip

Comment

http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Comment

Just an addition: Fred Miranda is one great website for informations around many aspects of photography!! Always worth a visit!

Gerardo
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by philip
                    Olli, thanks a lot I will look out for one with IS. Have you ever tried yours with the converter? How does it manage low light situations?
                    I use EF 1.4x II Extender frequently, quality is very good but AF is not so brilliant any more, it works well if there's plenty of light. I wouldn't use extender in low light, but all in all, it works very well on the 300.
                    http://ovp.fi

Comment

Just to let you know I finally decided on the following:
                      Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM
                      Canon Extender 1,4x II
                      Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L USM

Thanks a lot for the advice, very helpful!
                      greetings,
                      Philip

Comment

The 300mm and 1.4X converter are in a special discount lens offer for the EOS camera system 20th(?) Anniversary, if you are buying new.

This maybe only a UK offer, but might be offered in Europe as well.

Check your local dealers and websites and the local country Canon website.
                        May the Sun be with you. Resist the darkside.

Comment

The 70-200f2.8L IS and 1.4x is a great combo, I rarely take the 1.4x off:

PG

Comment

Working...
                          X