X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockpit Shots and Overexposure...

I had this one rejected for overexposure:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1466207

I understand the contrast and underexposed, but is it not allowed to overexpose the outside?. Is it the halos, or is it just that the view out the window is white.

Any chance of recovery for this one?

I think the problem is that the picture is so overexposed that it's affecting the cockpit too. Look at the compass hanging from the top. If you want to avoid this, use Auto Exposure lock (if you camera has it) and meter for the outside, then focus on the cockpit itself and use flash. This way you won't blow out the outside. If you're shooting glass cockpits, this might make the instruments almost impossible to see in the picture. It's hard for me to say because I haven't shot many glass cockpits.

Comment

Jordan's right!

As far as I know for shooting things like displays (from what I've worked with on tv screens...) for them to show up correctly you need a shutter slower than what a video is played at, which is 30FPS. I may be mistaken for a glass cockpit...but I generally stay at 1/15 of a second if there's a display in my photo somewhere.
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
        I think the problem is that the picture is so overexposed that it's affecting the cockpit too. Look at the compass hanging from the top. If you want to avoid this, use Auto Exposure lock (if you camera has it) and meter for the outside, then focus on the cockpit itself and use flash. This way you won't blow out the outside. If you're shooting glass cockpits, this might make the instruments almost impossible to see in the picture. It's hard for me to say because I haven't shot many glass cockpits.
        This is correct. In a similar way you can meter for the outside. Say you get 1/500th at F/8 for example. You can remember that combo and switch to manual mode (M) on you camera and turn the flash on. Either way you get the same result.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Also got to remember, many cameras won't sink with the flash over 1/250.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
            Also got to remember, many cameras won't sink with the flash over 1/250.
            True, I found it odd that my D50 went up to 1/500 but my D200 only went to 1/250. In that case I just up the aperture, down the ISO, or just do something to get everything right.

Can you fool the camera with AE lock?

Comment

What happens when you take a photo with a higher shutter than your camera allows with flash is this...

This mainly happens with off camera strobes like in a studio or when you're maybe shooting a basketball game with lights up in the rafters and so on. If you put your shutter up past the limit and still shoot with strobes...only half of your frame will show the effects. I wish I had an example to show, but I don't.

Hope it makes sense.
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

I gotcha. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X