Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 30D and 300/2.8 IS + converters performance

G'day All,

I'm considering buying the Canon 300/2.8 IS for my 30D. I doubt there is any question about the AF performance of that lens on a 30D. But i wonder what will happen if you mount the 1.4x or the 2x converters. Anybody able to tell me how the 30D performs then?.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob

I've used the 300 2.8 L IS on the 20D with the 1.4X TC and it handles exceptionally well !

The AF is absolutely awesome and clarity is pin sharp !

I presume it wouldn't be much different on the 30D as they both have the 1.6X crop factor.....

[photoid=5843417]

[photoid=5854866]

[photoid=5854873]

Comment

That combination is one of the most used in professional sports nowadays. Many people are going for the 300 with a 1.4 rather than a 400 2.8 because it is a more versatile lens than the 400.
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Will M
        Hi Rob

I've used the 300 2.8 L IS on the 20D with the 1.4X TC and it handles exceptionally well !

The AF is absolutely awesome and clarity is pin sharp !

I presume it wouldn't be much different on the 30D as they both have the 1.6X crop factor.....
        G'day Will,

Thanks for your reply.

I see that you now use the EF 300/f4 L IS version. I wonder if you're able to tell me if the AF performance of the f2.8 + 1.4x is still better than the f4 version?.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Do you shoot in low light alot? If you're just using it for aviation photography then you really don't need the 2.8. The 4 will do you just fine.
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

300 2.8 works VERY well with 1.4x, however, 2x TC noticeably degrades AF performance, but image quality is still good.
            http://ovp.fi

Comment

I don't think the extra $6,000 for the 2.8 is entirely worth it !
              Rob you can pick up the 300mm f/4 L IS for $2,200 NZD NEW! Converter around $450 on ebay.

Like Tanner said , unless you're shooting f/2.8 - f/3.5 theres not really any need for the extra size , hassle of carting it around and the $6,000 less in your bank account !

they rate quite closely on fredmiranda.com 9.9 versus 9.7 see here for 2.8 review and here for the f/4 review

I couldn't be happier with mine , it's lightweight , compact with a retractable lens hood that you can't loose , sure it doesn't make you look like the man with the big lens at an airshow but the quality will still closely match the 2.8 version IMHO.

[photoid=5948166]
              [photoid=5957371]
              [photoid=5946370]

Comment

Almost $4000 for a lens....you guys are NUTS!

Comment

They're only nuts if they're only buying it for aviation purposes...
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Will M
                    I don't think the extra $6,000 for the 2.8 is entirely worth it !
                    Rob you can pick up the 300mm f/4 L IS for $2,200 NZD NEW! Converter around $450 on ebay.

Like Tanner said , unless you're shooting f/2.8 - f/3.5 theres not really any need for the extra size , hassle of carting it around and the $6,000 less in your bank account !

I couldn't be happier with mine , it's lightweight , compact with a retractable lens hood that you can't loose , sure it doesn't make you look like the man with the big lens at an airshow but the quality will still closely match the 2.8 version IMHO.
                    Will, All,

Thank you all very much for your assistance. The weight is one thing that does concern me, but only for travel overseas. I think i spend some more time thinking about it and try to find both lenses to try them out.

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X