Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can improve my photo so it gets added?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played around with the rejection a little bit and came up with this still by no means an acceptable image.

First cropped it to 3:2 ratio
    Bumped up the levels a bit
    Lightened the shadows a tad and bumped up midrange contrast.
    Did a little bit of edge sharpening.

The biggest issue i see is your original image was 250KB in size. This one is close to 400KB even with the crop in place you need to save the image with the minimum of compression. I had to compress it a little bit to get under the 500K limit.

Looking at your Exif information you could have reduced the shutter speed a lot to get a better exsposure as this one was shot at 1/500 Sec and f/4.0 this has caused the tail of the A/C to become soft. added to that the fact that you had to shoot thru glass did not help matters either.

Hope this help you understand a little more about the processing.

Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Not much to add to Mr. Jetfighters post

The main issue is indeed softness and the compression. Probably the underexposure will also be a challenge, as correcting this will cause noise.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

If 1/500 is too slow, what is a good shutter speed for shooting planes.

Comment

1/500 is not to slow, it is too fast for shooting planes that are at a stand still or hardly moving. With your camera information i would say that 1/60 to 1/100 would have yielded a much better result.

Shooting thru glass is tough enough with high quality equipment when you are using a point and shoot camera it gets worse. I try to avoid shooting thru glass with my Nikon D2x and Sigma 120-300 EX Lens because of the distortions the extra glass creates. Even high quality lens filters placed at the end of a lens distorts the image ever so slightly therefore i try not to use Polorizers, or UV filters unless i have to.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their help, but I have one question could a shot of these angles make it into the database.

Picture #1: http://www.kazaimages.com/download.p...65b5db829b7ddf

Picture #2:

Note: I know these photos have other problems with them, but can photos of these angles done properly make it into the databaske.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

done properly yes.
              [photoid=6069562]
              [photoid=6071127]
              i know they aren't the best examples but you get the idea.

-Chris

Comment

Rohan,

Not to sound disrespectful, but i would sugesst to not focus so much on getting a photo published in the database but instead focus on these key areas:

1. Learing all of the functions of your camera. In other words experement with it. This way you will find a sweet spot for your camera that creates the best possible image.

2. Visualise what type of shot you are looking for. I.E. side on shot, front-side shot, tail-side shot, Blue skys or cloudy skys, take off, landing or on the ramp shots. then concentrate on one style of shot one at a time till you get good results.

3. Work with your photo editor to find a way of processing the image to get the best results out of it. There are a lot of workflow examples on this site and others that will help you in the right direction. The key thing is the settings that work for the camera and lens might not work for yours so you will need to experement and find the sweet spot that works for you.

4. Find a photo that has been accepted and show it to friends along with your work and see what image they prefer sort of like a taste test between Coke and Pepsi. once your friends start to chose your photos more and more, now you can start to think about uploading for screening.

If you are honest to yourself and try these steps out you will become more comfortable with your image processing and more at ease when it comes time to upload your photos.

Rob

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for all your help. I have figured the shutter speed problem, among others, just wondering what resoloution should I shoot my photos at. My camera has 2816 by 2112 or something like that, 2272 by 1704 or 1600 by 1200. I shot the above photos at the highest resouloution and I found that when I compress my photos for uploading they lost substantial quality. So could you tell me which one is the best, a resoloution that will allow me room for cropping and still be of high image quality.

Thank you

Comment

I would use the highest possible resolution. Even if it takes more memory space, you have better quality images.

Comment

Just remember to save the photos once done editing at the highest level possible. (has to be below 1 MB for uploading). Also make sure your not saving the edit after every little tweak as every time you save a photo over the original save you loose quality and gain compression.

Comment

Hi,

The highest resoloution yielded very bad results because I had to compress them down quite a bit to meet JP.net's size requirement. The original images had way less grain and looked a lot better, so would any of the other resoloutions yield better results.

Rohan

Comment

Rohan, there is something you're doing wrong. The larger the original, the better the resized photo, generally speaking. But, on resizing there are quite a few ways to screw up a photo.
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Rohan,

Going back through this thread I see that you have Photoshop CS2 available to you. You won't get a much better image editor than that so could you post your workflow for us ?
                            If you are getting bad compression then you are definitely doing something wrong. Shoot at the highest possible resolution, set the CS2 crop tool to crop to 1024 x 768 pixels and save to .jpg using a quality setting of 12 ( the highest available ). These settings should eliminate any compression problems and still give you manageable file sizes.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                            X