Mission: Concorde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission: Concorde

I was in town and I knew I had to try and see the Concorde. I got up at 6 AM and drove to JFK. I ended up at a place which I think is called Howard Beach. The spot is right under the path the planes take after departing 31L. The weather was horrible though, it was hazy and foggy at the same time. The planes would pop into view over a large tree. At 9 AM, the scheduled departure time, I called my dad in California and asked if it was delayed. The BA website said it was delayed until 10:45. While I waited I took photos of some of the other planes departing (BA 747, LH MD-11, some AAs and such). Then, at about 10:35 the sun started to come out of the clouds. Right at 10:45 I hear a sound that I've not heard before. A rumble in the distance. It kept getting louder and louder. I picked up my camera, I knew it was the Concorde. This was the moment I have been waiting for. 15 seconds had passed and the roar was getting louder. Then, up from over the large tree, the Concorde appears. It was banking, everything was shaking, it was moving twice as fast as the normal planes and was only at half the altitude. I zoomed in, but it was moving so fast that I need to zoom out again. As it started to move towards my right I clicked the shutter button. I sighed with relief when I was that I hadn't cut it off. I watched it climb into the distance and into the fog. Even though it was out of sight I could still hear the roar of the engines for a good while. I found myself shaking, it was the most amazing sight I had ever seen. Even though I got a picture, the picture can't show how amazing it really was. I suggest to everyone, if you haven't seen it, to go see this amazing plane before it is retired in October.

I will try and go back next friday before my flight home to see it once more.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1219

Congratulatons

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I agree with you pilotguy! My first sighting of the Concorde was exactly like you: Howard Beach, Rumbling sound, and amazement

For those who never see(saw) the concorde...you MUST see her at least once in a lifetime!
      Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Couldn’t agree more even though I see it regularly (almost everyday) I feel the same thing everytime..

I look out of my front window, strangely the skies suddenly become empty and silent but then I see her in the distance, The Concorde flying silently towards me, the anticipation building as if the goddess of the skies is blessing me with a visit. By the time I run out of the front door and look up, her four Olympus engines are tearing the sky in two as she performs a graceful bank to starboard and then she’s off into the sunset

Sorry to get all poetic on you there!

Pic i took of it from my front door..

Comment

Working...
        X