Aviation photography in A level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation photography in A level

I was wondering if i should (i want to) do aviation photography in a level (college for you yanks ) and what part of aviation should i focus on if I do considering the fact that it shouldnt just be a plain photo of a plane, but be interesting and conveying a story.
    also, any famous aviation photographers? (sam chui probably is one )

if not, what should i do, architecture or nature or just nature and architecture together?

my mind is blank for ideas, and thanks in advance

Why not learn the art of photography as a whole as opposed to just aviation ?
    RobB

Comment

Originally posted by RobinB
      Totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinB
        well, I will be still learning about photography wont I?

but anyway, I did state i dont mind doing anything else, so i guess its either architecture and nature combined or them both separately

Comment

Originally posted by iranair777
          well, I will be still learning about photography wont I?

but anyway, I did state i dont mind doing anything else, so i guess its either architecture and nature combined or them both separately
          Why not try a combination of Aviation / Architecture tied into one single photo

[photoid=5928309]
          Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
          http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
            Why not try a combination of Aviation / Architecture tied into one single photo

[photoid=5928309]
            very good idea

I've decided (after talking with my teacher) to do Architecture and nature in my photos and I may have something like the picture above in the photo

I chose Architecture because of the fact that we are going to venice in march (cant wait ) and I wont really be able to plane spot through the whole 3 days ( ) so i need some inner city/Architecture in the theme and photos

thanks guys

Comment

I usually just go with what's around me. Some days I just simply take a walk around campus with my camera and just see what I can do with it.

Comment

As far as I know 'Aviation Photography' isn't a nationally recognised A level course or qualification lol. As said if your interested in photography, do a photography course that doesn't limit you. Aviation photography isn't something that should be learnt in a classroom anyway. Its something that is best - self-taught and with advice from fellow photographers in that field.

Comment

Anyone can take a photo of an airplane. No sudden movements, nothing really.

Go for something more challenging. Master lighting, master sports, mastering aviation photography won't really do much.

Go to a photojournalism school or an art school.

The top photojournalism schools in the nation are:

Western Kentucky University
                  Ohio University
                  Brooks Institute
                  Missouri
                  Kent State
                  North Carolina - Chapel Hill

Those schools will challenge your photography and teach you how to tell a story. I went to WKU for a year and I am mainly a sports photographer, so I based my weekly assignments around sports.
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                    Anyone can take a photo of an airplane...
                    Try telling that to half our uploaders

Oh and I'm not sure how overly helpful it was telling him what the top schools in 'the nation' was considering he's obvious based in the UK lol
                    Last edited by BA747-436; 2007-09-18, 16:09.

Comment

Well he can come over here...That's why we have airplanes!
                      Tanner Johnson - Owner
                      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                        Try telling that to half our uploaders
                        everyone can take a picture of an airplane but not everyone's is good enough for JP.

-Chris

Comment

thanks a lot guys, now i have really decided to take architecture and nature, and I have realised that you are all right in saying that learning the lighting etc of taking pictures other than aviation to master it is more important than doing a 'plain boring' picture of a plane

its me, i always like jumping to levels i cannot reach all the time

Comment

Yeah, once you start getting into taking pics of things other than planes, you'll start to see stuff in plane pics that you wouldn't normally have seen before.

Comment

Looking back, i'd love to have done an A-Level in photography. It was available to us too, but I had no interest in it at all at the time...how times change!! There's so much scope to it all that i'd love to have learnt more than I know at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X