Lens Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens Suggestion

Hi Guys - would appreciate some suggestions re zoom lens.

I currently have a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro which I mate with my 350d. I really battle to get nice sharp images of aircraft in motion when zoomed in.

OK, so popped into my local camera shop and had the lens tested - has a small "smidge" of flare, so it's going in for some "re-callibration". However, the lad at the shop, being the good saleman that he is, said that my lens was not exactly condusive to shooting aircraft in motion, and suggested I invest in an appropriate lens. Now I can buy that logic, but the trick is to "invest" in a lens that will do the job, but will not exocet my wallet into a a million bits.

So, I'm open to your learned input. One VERY frustrating bit is that prices in South Africa are not as attractive as in the US or Far East - BUMMER.......
    RobB

Zoomed in...or zoomed out.
    I would wait for it to come back for calibration, and would certainly ask the salesman to explain that statement.....probably he is suggesting faster lenses.....but in good light why.
    I have owned that lens in both DG and non DG, and for the price is a great lens.
    So much so that my 50-500 has not seen the light of day for over a year....it pisses on this lens at all focal ranges.
    My main aviation lens now is the 70-200 F2.8.....yes better than the 70-300...but of course at four times the price it is not four times better in terms of focus/sharpness
    Your option would be the IS lenses...but $$$$$$$$
    Any examples of this problem you have...thought heat haze was discussed a while back.
    May be an idea to try and borrow a lens......even another 70-300. Have you had your camera checked for sensor alignment/focus problems.
    My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Depends on your price range.

Logical steps up are :

- any of those Canon 70-300 IS USMs
      - the famous Canon 100-400 L
      - any 70-200 2.8 (Canon or Sigma)
      - Canon has a 70-200 4.0 (?)
      - Sigma 100-300 HSM 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
        Zoomed in...or zoomed out.
        Hi Greg - zoomed in at 300mm. last shots using this lens was at Duxford. day was overcast so heat haze was not a factor. Have some shots awaiting screening with the lens - that was the best I could get, the others i did not bother trying to upload to JP. Said shop has a Canon equivelent of my Sigma with IS - it's was a demo lens which they are flogging (with a year's guarentee) for the equivelent of 600 Euros. They offered that I can test shoot it to see. Once my Sigma lens gets back - we'll do some test shooting and perhaps the camera may need a sensor alignment - anyway, many thanks for the responses guys - we'll see how this pans out.

RB.
        RobB

Comment

Working...
        X