Canon 70-300 IS question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 70-300 IS question.

Im using one on my 400D and it seems to be overly soft at 300mm. I know this aint no L lens so it cant be expected to be pinsharp at that length but still I expected it to sharper than what it is. Anyone else using this lense have the same problem? Is it just a matter of deal with it and work around it or is it maybe an issue with my copy that I can get fixed?

Cheers, Dave

I have the older 75-300mm lens and when I use it I avoid going beyond 200mm or so if I can possibly help it. It helps if you keep the lens stopped down to f8 or smaller.

Comment

Nature of the Beast

Dave,

I have been using the 70-300IS for almost a year now. Its not a perfect lens but I am pretty happy with it. I find I have a lower keeper rate at 300mm than the more used 100-200mm range (Here in Newfoundland you can generally get fairly close to the runways) but at 300mm it can produce decent results, see below

I chaulk the discrepency up to 300mm requiring a steadier hand and higher shutter speeds. I keep the lens at F8 as much as possible to stay in the theoretical sweet spot but.... I have not done tests but one of these days i got to see how much 'worse' it is at wide open.

So long story short, set the aperture to F8 and if you routinely get soft images while still having a decent shutter speed you may have a problem with your copy of the lens. One thing I found however that will guaruntee soft photos is using mode 1 IS while tracking a moving object.

cheers

Mark

Comment

Working...
      X