Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get a motion blur effect?

Hi,

I just wanted to find out if there were any special settings for capturing an aircraft with the motion blur effect.

Thanks,
    Tanuj.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Make the shutter time longer and pan with the plane. It's quite tricky to do, but the results are worth it!
    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

As Petertenthije said...it requires patience, but can be achieved
      Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

You mean like this?
        First aircraft to land at ZRH that day, some minutes before 6.00 AM. I'm pretty happy with the result, considering it was taken handheld with 1/30s. - Photo taken at Zurich (- Kloten) (ZRH / LSZH) in Switzerland on May 24, 2003.

or like that?
        [photoid=78641]

Then were taken with a rather long aperture time of 1/30s (MD-11) or 1/50 (A340). So far I had more pictures going directly to the trashcan trying this, than anything else.

Have fun!!

Gerardo
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

My brother uses the C-700 camera and I also use the camera and was just wondering since the shutter speed for that camera goes up to around 1,000 if we should use that speed or around 800 or does it depend on how you want the picture to look.

From,
          Nick

Comment

Depends on lighting. If you want motion blur you'll want something around 1/60th.
            Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Gerardo, that Swiss MD-11! Simply amazing!
              Will

Jetphotos.Net Photographer
              Airliners.Net Photographer

Comment

Thanks, LH764 (Funny user name for somebody living in Ottawa, BTW )

Devildog, if you want motion blur, the go down to something around 1/50 or even slower. With 1/800 or faster, you will need to seriously screw up your image to get motion blur

Cheers
                Gerardo

Comment

But don't the images come out too dark at 1/50 shutter speed?
                  "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                    If anything, they woud get overexposed, i.e. too bright. The longer the exposure time (1/50 second is longer than 1/600 second), the more light goes thru the whole lens to the sensor, or film. Closing the aperture (high F-number), the amount of light is reduced again.

My shots presented above were taken in poor light conditions, where I more or less had to take exposure times of 1/30s or 1/50s at biggest appertures possible. In sunny bright days, this is more or less impossible.

More about this
                    Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

Cheers
                    Gerardo

Comment

Adding to all those tips already given, a monopod would be helpful also to reduce the chance of getting blurry shots. This one for example
                      [photoid=79214]
                      was taken with 1/40 at an aperture of 14.
                      If you should be using a digital slr make sure your sensor is clean when you are using higher f-stops, because dust on the sensor gets more visible with higher f-stops and its a pain in the youknowwhere to get rid off those dust spots.
                      Peter
                      Peter
                      http://www.vap-group.at
                      http://www.austrianaviation.net

Comment

That was just about the funniest thing I have read all week...

Speaking of Mr. Unmuth I was about to post, saying how he is definatley the king of motion blur shots

I'm not exactly at Peter or Gerardo's level yet...here's my best try at a motion blur, shot at 1/160th of a second f/8

[photoid=93576]

I intend to try some more at LAX soon.

-Clovis

Comment

That was just about the funniest thing I have read all week...
                          What's so funny about it. As I increase the shutter speed (1/1000) being the highest, the picture do become darker and darker. And my camera, in Auto mode, usually ashoots at 1/3 shutter speed, so 1/50 is considerably darker.

Comment

Sry Tanuj but you Camera isn't shooting usually at 1/3. Can't shoot that low in the day time.
                            Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

What's so funny about it. As I increase the shutter speed (1/1000) being the highest, the picture do become darker and darker. And my camera, in Auto mode, usually ashoots at 1/3 shutter speed, so 1/50 is considerably darker.
                              Tanuj, I've shot photos with my C-730 in Auto and it NEVER goes down to 1/3 of a second unless its nightime!!!! I don't know what the hell you are talking about but you obviously don't know jack about how a camera works.
                              I know that in auto mode, the Olympus usually opens the aperture before lowering the shutter speed to let more light in. So instead of doing 1/350th f/8 it will do 1/1000th f/3.5 (at 380mm). Even 1/350th is barely enough to get motion blur unless you're shooting something going very fast, very close up at near full zoom.
                              You really need to learn some BASIC stuff about photography before you start tinkering with motion blur.
                              I still can't beleive you think you have any photographical experience that allows you to give your opinion on what the site standards should be....or what you think a good photo looks like...

-Clovis

Comment

Working...
                              X