No announcement yet.

Got Photos on Airliners.net? READ THIS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think we'll be graced with the presence NIKV69 (thank God). I've spotted with him a handful of times and I can say I've never had a good time. Seems like JP is beneath him in his mind. Whatever. If you look hard enough, you can find all the real a.net hairbags on a new spin-off site which looks like absolute crap.

Comment

• If you look hard enough, you can find all the real a.net hairbags on a new spin-off site which looks like absolute crap.
      Not to sound like a .... whatever, but which site do you mean?
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Originally posted by LX-A343
        Not to sound like a .... whatever, but which site do you mean?
        He's talking about Airspaceonline, and as far as looking like absolute crap goes, well, let me just say "you're welcome."

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999
          Below the text of the deletion email and my response.

In a message dated 11/08/2008 19:14:13 GMT Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:
          "With a post like that you are

VERY close to a ban"

So, for using the four words "You arrogant little prat" ( and he IS an arrogant little prat ! ) in an otherwise constructive and totally honest post, I am to be threatened with a ban on Anet ?

Here is my answer...

Do it !

I will answer in the forums as I see fit. Believe me when I say that I was originally going to use much worse descriptive language of Nick69.

A forum is supposed to be a place where contributors can give their point of view. At JP.net Chris Kilroy will modify a post if he thinks a couple of words are inappropriate but will leave the "meat" of the post on the site. He has recently done this concerning this very subject

( Example. One JP net contributor yesterday asked in the JP forums, and I quote.... "Who the fuck is this Nick69 ?" Chris deleted the expletive.)

Why did you not delete Nick69's arrogant response to Peter Unmuth ? I see your reason as being because Nick69 was referring to a JP.net contributor. Let's face it, Anet in general, and Demand Media in particular is currently shit scared of losing business to other sites, or plain and simply losing business. DM is dangerously close to being in the situation where the sum of money paid to Johan Lundgren is going to go down the drain with no potential for a resale elsewhere.

Anet is virtually finished as far as I am personally concerned. That is a huge tragedy as it was the first place I went to when I started in aviation photography. DM has, in a few months, managed to destroy what was once a good site.

I must make it perfectly clear that these are my own personal views and in no way do they represent any link to, or opinion of, Jetphotos.net ( the friendly way to fly !! ) and its owner or other staff.

Absolute pure class, Brian. I've long thought the offhand and arrogant style of moderation on A.Net is extremely offputting and does nothing to make me want to post there. Many of the moderators appear to be so far up their own backsides it's untrue; and the same goes for many of the screeners. It simply isn't worth it.

I love the "friendly way to fly" reference sneaked slyly in there!

Paul
          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

• I have to say I am surprised this thread is still going, with the vehemence showing toward A.nets moderators unabated.

I actually work with one of them, and having had a frank and open discussion about the way things are going, I do feel that some of the percieved witchhunting and targetting talked about here just isn't true. And, in my personal opinion, some of it is richly deserved, much of it not so.

Yes, some of them have axes to grind, but then, so do a lot of people. And I personally think that A.net should be left to get on with whatever it sees as the way forward, without the benefit of constant derogation and general bitching.

This site does a wonderful job of showcasing many pictures that wouldn't get a look in on A.net, and, I have to say, the same works the other way. I have pictures on A.net that were rejected here.

This doesn't mean I lay into the moderators and screeners every time I disagree with either a rejection or post deletion.

If this site is going to be a serious contender for a place in the top rankings then it has to ameliorate it's criticism of A.net and accept that, whether we like it or not, A.net is under new management, things are not the same and the mods/screeners over there have different criteria to here.

I would suggest that, should anyone have the urge to slang off another site, then they join one that allows such actions, rather than constantly belittle this one by making immature and irelevant comments.

JP.net could be a lot bigger than it is, but it won't be all the while people are prepared to rant over something that really isn't anything to do with this site.

Chris still runs this place as his own personal project and, if things get too much, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if he also did a Johan and sold on. It cannot be easy maintaining the place as it is, let alone getting bigger. We could then be in the same position, with a commercial operator dictating what happens.

A.net and JP.net coexisted fine until DM took over, why shouldn't they do so still, especially as JP is apparently on the up?

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by exmanx
              I have to say I am surprised this thread is still going, with the vehemence showing toward A.nets moderators unabated.

I actually work with one of them, and having had a frank and open discussion about the way things are going, I do feel that some of the percieved witchhunting and targetting talked about here just isn't true. And, in my personal opinion, some of it is richly deserved, much of it not so.

Yes, some of them have axes to grind, but then, so do a lot of people. And I personally think that A.net should be left to get on with whatever it sees as the way forward, without the benefit of constant derogation and general bitching.

This site does a wonderful job of showcasing many pictures that wouldn't get a look in on A.net, and, I have to say, the same works the other way. I have pictures on A.net that were rejected here.

This doesn't mean I lay into the moderators and screeners every time I disagree with either a rejection or post deletion.

If this site is going to be a serious contender for a place in the top rankings then it has to ameliorate it's criticism of A.net and accept that, whether we like it or not, A.net is under new management, things are not the same and the mods/screeners over there have different criteria to here.

I would suggest that, should anyone have the urge to slang off another site, then they join one that allows such actions, rather than constantly belittle this one by making immature and irelevant comments.

JP.net could be a lot bigger than it is, but it won't be all the while people are prepared to rant over something that really isn't anything to do with this site.

Chris still runs this place as his own personal project and, if things get too much, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if he also did a Johan and sold on. It cannot be easy maintaining the place as it is, let alone getting bigger. We could then be in the same position, with a commercial operator dictating what happens.

A.net and JP.net coexisted fine until DM took over, why shouldn't they do so still, especially as JP is apparently on the up?

Andy
              Hi!
              Actually Anet and JP did not coexist under Johan. In fact, it's easier to talk about JP there now than it was before IMO. I don't know what happened to have the a.net vs. JP situation, but before DM it was a huge no-no to link JP, as well as now I guess, but with so many problems to solve some might slip through.

I don't know if we should not be able to criticize ... I agree that having 10 threads open about the same issue is too much, but what is wrong with one ongoing thread where we can express experienced/opinions regarding a.net and especially the "new" a.net? We can't express it there, so why not here?
              I believe that it is important to have this thread here because I'm pretty sure someone from over there is monitorin it and could maybe get an idea of how to get a.net back to what it was.

This said, IMO there were open attempts by Monique to get things back together but since she left it's been zero interaction between DM and the community (customers too). Screeners .. well, in any aviation site there will be some degree of inconsistency and I think they have rejected amazing shots for ridiculous reasons sometimes, but a) I'm not a screener anywhere and b) the criticizing of screeners also happened before the DM takeover.

regards

Comment

• Ah, OK, thanks for the info. But let's not start a new Anti-whatever_other_aviation_website.net feeling. A.net showed, how not to do it.

Comment

• JPnet and Anet did not coexist, before and not with DM. Just 2 weeks ago, my account was blocked/banned, because the mods found out, that I have a link to here in my profile, a link, which I posted there about 4 years ago or so.

Johan started this witchhunting against JPnet, most crew members if not all took over this thinking and many forum members and photogs there took over from them. A pitty, but it was their decision.

Comment

• Well, all I can say is I am heartily sick of the aggravation and frankly it puts me off uploading anywhere. If thats how people want to be, petty and backbiting, fine. But I don't want any part of it.

If JP wants to get ahead it has to distance itself from this sort of thing. All the while it engages in "discussion" such as is demonstrated here, then it will go nowhere.

I am sorry to sound like a boring git but this has gone far enough. It really doesn't matter who started it, what happened before or what who did to whom, what matters is that at least one of the sites rises above petty rivalry and takes the high ground. And JP.net won't do that all the while this sort of thread is extant.

I made some friends here and had fun.Now, like A.net the fun is going out of it. No point hanging around if all that happens is one big slanging match. There are other sites for that.

Andy

Comment

• I agree, we need to end this and move on. Let A.net deal with their issues.

I am just curious though. When DM wrote that big check to Johan, did the screeners get a share of the money ?

Comment

Well, all I can say is I am heartily sick of the aggravation and frankly it puts me off uploading anywhere. If thats how people want to be, petty and backbiting, fine. But I don't want any part of it.

If JP wants to get ahead it has to distance itself from this sort of thing. All the while it engages in "discussion" such as is demonstrated here, then it will go nowhere.

I am sorry to sound like a boring git but this has gone far enough. It really doesn't matter who started it, what happened before or what who did to whom, what matters is that at least one of the sites rises above petty rivalry and takes the high ground. And JP.net won't do that all the while this sort of thread is extant.

I made some friends here and had fun.Now, like A.net the fun is going out of it. No point hanging around if all that happens is one big slanging match. There are other sites for that.

Andy
                        It's only one thread

Keep the friends from both sites, I have some too myself ... and it's not, at least for me a JP vs. a.net. At the end of the day, both are great sites, the biggest in this hobby of ours. And I think part of the problems with anet is that despite some problems, no wants to see it fall, that's why there is so much talk about it.

And keep on having FUN!! Don't let one thread take away what you like

regards,

Alberto

Comment

• Well, here at least, everybody is free to mention A.net. You can write "Airliners.net" in any of your posts. You can link to photos at A.net. Heck, you can even have a link to your photos or profile at Airliners.net ..... WITHOUT beeing banned. So, for a starter, we never were that low.

I never liked those anti-Anet topics. I always thought, this world would be big enough for both. So far, the Anet crew hasn't moved one yota. So, to be honest, I don't care anymore, what people here will write about Anet. Should I ever see a change over there, I'll be the first to do a step here.

And then, .... it's just one topic. For a genuine anti-anet festival, there's always Airwhiners

Comment

• Originally posted by saupatel
                            I am just curious though. When DM wrote that big check to Johan, did the screeners get a share of the money ?
                            NO !
                            Originally posted by exmanx
                            I personally think that A.net should be left to get on with whatever it sees as the way forward, without the benefit of constant derogation and general bitching.
                            Andy i have great respect for what you just wrote however, the only reason for this threads revival was because there was a lotta ridiculous thrash being written about JP on A.net

While we often bitch about A.net its almost always in a healthy way.
                            Now compare tht against what was being written about us over there, things like we are sub-standard, acpt rubbish photos etc.....etc.....which obviously isnt correct & hence Me, Jid, Peter, Brian & a few others staunchly defended JP as "I" personally feel very strongly about JP and i'm sure many here feel the same way too.

You will agree with me that comments the like of which are posted here wouldnt have even made it for an hour on A.net before being deleted.

I have made as many friends from A.net as i have from JP if not more.

According to me (i may be wrong and i'm no A.net fanboy) quite a few people who have consistantly posted in this thread have photos there as well as here and in a way it is sad to see A.net's decline the way we are seeing it now. Again a lot of people looked at A.net as being this great shrine of aviation photography however (now again this is just my personal view & i may be wrong) because of their Sky-High Photo Acceptance "Standards" which may either be due to guidelines from a newer management or just as natural progression mean there are always gonna be more & more unhappy uploaders especially since everyone cannot afford a 40D or a MK1D + L Glass and then again there's the part of a masterful edit.

The whole point of what we do (spotting/photographing planes) is just a fun activity for oneself.
                            There dosent have to be any competition or super professionalism in doing what you love.
                            However the way they have set an example of it being like a professional editing/photography contest is a bit bewildering to me.
                            Not only are they losing out on a lot of extra-ordinary images but also great people who wouldnt bother to go through the, if i may say so 'humiliation' of having ones hardwork rejected after half-a-months wait for a petty reason.

JP does overlook slightly minor reasons and is therefore only gaining in popularity, this shift in power has an opposite effect on people who thought they'd never see certain leading names putting-up their work here.

Just My 2 Piase

Comment

Well, all I can say is I am heartily sick of the aggravation and frankly it puts me off uploading anywhere. If thats how people want to be, petty and backbiting, fine. But I don't want any part of it.

Andy
                              I appreciate your viewpoint, Andy, but I'm really not convinced that's entirely the case. I work in music both as a live sound engineer and as a musician; another artistic area and one where people speak with great feeling and passion about what they believe to be right. It doesn't mean they are right and it doesn't mean whatever they're speaking out against is wrong; they're simply speaking their mind and I think this is very much the same thing. I don't necessarily think people 'want' to bitch, backbite or anything like that. It's simply something they feel strongly about because photography and aviation are passions. I know you've been around a lot longer in these communities, and in photography than I have (and I'm not just calling you an old git in saying that! ) And I really hope my words don't sound patronising; I genuinely don't mean them to. I just expect people to speak out about things they believe in, especially when it's something artistic and something people have been a part of for years.

Paul
                              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

• A.Net has NOT recovered!

Originally posted by exmanx

Andy
                                Andy,

My point was I strongly believe that A.net and JP.net did co-exist, in a balanced sort of way. They shared a common ground avaition photo database, but from different angles/philosophies. An almost ying/yang(?) thing! (Bloody hell I sound like a Jedi master!!!). In this way they co-existed.

My hope is that A.net does survive and does well because you want that balance.

I think this thread is not A.net bashing, or back-biting but an indication of what is happening over at A.net and that A.net allow a lot of negative comments about JP.net to go into the forums and when they are corrected and commented upon then those people are banned or punished. It should be noted that many uploaders on here are uploaders on A.net.

My personal view is that DM have told the forum mods that only one site exists, no mention of the "other" site is allowed, a hang up from earlier days maybe, reinforced recently, IMO yes.

Do I think A.net has recovered? No, the views for the top 5 photos can at times be incredibly low and I have viewed the top of 24 hours and by the time you get to the 30th photo on the list you are getting 400-500 views, so few people are viewing the photos on that site, to what traffic there was.

As I have said the thought of A.net going down the drain does NOT feel me with joy.

I will state once again that Chris and the crew do a good job here. I hope things stay much as they are, I like it. I do know that things change, the Internet evolves, things might cause Chris to reconsider his ownership of the site, etc. I just hope that any changes are minor and this site keeps it's "friendly" atmosphere.
                                May the Sun be with you. Resist the darkside.

Comment

Working...
                                X