Met Police (London) campaign targets photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met Police (London) campaign targets photography

Not great news for the hobby. Encouraging suspicion towards us...nice.

Nothing to hide....nothing to worry about

Comment

Ahhh it's that time of the year for a little more scaremongering. I thought it had gotten somewhat quiet over here.

Comment

Well, if your legal, overt and open then even if someone does whine about you you should be ok. Simply a little inconvenience about being questioned. Just make sure you carry some form of legit ID and bingo!

And lets face it, Mr terrorist isn't going to hang around for percy filth to ask him questions, unlike us who want to get every last shot we can before the light goes!

A pain in the bum, yes, ncessary, yes, ever going to stop? Not in our lifetime I reckon.

Andy

Comment

Has it been different before this came out and I wonder if it will be the same as before since it seems that there are not as many complaints on here and from other posts, they have not been that many hassels with the police. I want to go to LHR and LGW someday and not get hassled like at some of the airports here.

Comment

Originally posted by CcrlR
            Has it been different before this came out and I wonder if it will be the same as before since it seems that there are not as many complaints on here and from other posts, they have not been that many hassels with the police. I want to go to LHR and LGW someday and not get hassled like at some of the airports here.
            I wouldn't worry about getting hassled that much at Heathrow. You will find on most days, plenty of other photographers milling around taking pictures around the perimeter. The most I have had at Heathrow is the Police driving by slowly just paying attention to who you are. I have only been questioned once, but so was everyone else taking pictures with me.

Whether that will change in time.......who knows?
            Last edited by turbotraker; 2008-03-08, 05:59.

Comment

hey is it useful to use smaller digital cameras that are less professional and more family-oriented so that no one thinks of small suspicions of the spotter? Im trying to decide if its better to use my sisters tiny digital camera for a trip next week

Comment

Originally posted by crvenazvezdaman
                hey is it useful to use smaller digital cameras that are less professional and more family-oriented so that no one thinks of small suspicions of the spotter? Im trying to decide if its better to use my sisters tiny digital camera for a trip next week
                Considering how little the public knows between different types of cameras your big camera probably wouldn't be any different than the small one but yes it may attract a bit more attention. IMO you should stick with your camera it's worth the hastle.

Comment

The smaller cameras probably won't give such a good chance of getting pictures accepted. Also, a small, covert camera screams to me that the user is either....

1. A non spotter just taking a pic or...
                  2. Someone a bit more suspicious who doesn't want to be obvious.

Hanging around with an expensive DSLR with a long lens on it 'aint exactly covert or suspicious !!

As far as Heathrow spotting is concerned you are unlikely to attract any police attention unless you are Sri Lankan and walking across the runway !!

...but seriously, the only time you need to be careful at Heathrow is if you are driving and parking at the 09L approach by the ILS field. If you do park there, park well off the road and leave room for pedestrians to pass otherwise the police may lose their sense of humour.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Just because they're targeting photography does not mean tourists aren't allowed to bring cameras with them!

If they ask you questions, big deal...answer them honestly and you'll be fine.
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

What on earth happened to this ?

and this - Plane-Spotters join terror fight

???

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
                        I wouldn't worry about getting hassled that much at Heathrow. You will find on most days, plenty of other photographers milling around taking pictures around the perimeter. The most I have had at Heathrow is the Police driving by slowly just paying attention to who you are. I have only been questioned once, but so was everyone else taking pictures with me.

Whether that will change in time.......who knows?
                        Unlike some US airports, especially STL.

The card has its pro and cons.
                        Last edited by uy707; 2008-03-17, 17:18.
                        Thanks for visiting
                        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                        *JetPhotos*
                        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

NYC and NYNJ Port Authority have a campaign with a slogan "If you see something say something." It’s not a big deal to me to have a police encounter, in-fact I'm glad they do come out. God forbid they did ignore something and then something happened. As long as they are professional and respectful I think its fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X