Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrast/Categories wrong help

Hi,

Today I got below photo rejected for having too much or too little contrast and incorrect category selected:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1876026

I didn't select the category Nightshot (due to photo taken at sunset) because I have uploaded similar photos and all were rejected for being too dark (sunset photos are supposed to be darker, correct?).

As for the contrast rejection, I would like some tips on how I improve this photo for re-upload as I really like the red anti-collision lights on the photo.

Any tips?

Best regards,

A388

I think the night shot category can be applied here, photos in dusk or dawn lighting belong to the night shot category, too.

For the contrast, check the histogramm. It has a lot of space to the left and right. You can correct it really simple in Photoshop. See the following example, left side edited by me, right side your original.

Comment

Originally posted by degi
      I think the night shot category can be applied here, photos in dusk or dawn lighting belong to the night shot category, too.

For the contrast, check the histogramm. It has a lot of space to the left and right. You can correct it really simple in Photoshop. See the following example, left side edited by me, right side your original.
      Well, my photo got rejected again! See below link:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1882529

I don't understand it, the photo looks fine to me. What's wrong with the contrast now?

A388

Comment

For me the second one is worse then the original upload.

Comment

The photo looks "flat", lacking a better word to express it .... . Check Peter Menner's photo above: it has the right balance between highlights and shadows.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
            The photo looks "flat", lacking a better word to express it .... . Check Peter Menner's photo above: it has the right balance between highlights and shadows.
            Which side LHS or RHS....
            I agree with Stefan....
            The length of shadows and intensity of the AC lights suggest it was taken not too long before sunset,and the photo needs to depict that, rather than a "brightened" version for looks...
            I suspect the lighting was similar to this.

But it would have to be uploaded as "night shot".
            Last edited by Greg Wilson; 2008-04-21, 13:51. Reason: Spelling
            My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
              Which side LHS or RHS....
              I agree with Stefan....
              The length of shadows and intensity of the AC lights suggest it was taken not too long before sunset,and the photo needs to depict that, rather than a "brightened" version for looks...
              I suspect the lighting was similar to this.

But it would have to be uploaded as "night shot".
              Hi Greg and other members. I did upload the photo as night shot and the photo in its original form does look more like you mentioned. The thing is, I uploaded such "dark" photos before and they were all rejected for being too dark which I up until today don't understand as those photos were taken at sunset with little lighting.

I wanted to upload the photo in its "darker" form but decided to brighten it up more because of past experience. What should I do now? In my opinion the photo is very nice but I'm a bit lost as to how to edit the photo.

Any tips?

A388

Comment

You only uploaded the "brightened" one as night shot.....you mentioned that your original one was not.
                Upload a correctly edited one (or your original) as "night" shot and see how you go.
                My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
                  You only uploaded the "brightened" one as night shot.....you mentioned that your original one was not.
                  Upload a correctly edited one (or your original) as "night" shot and see how you go.
                  Okay thanks. I'm losing hope on this photo though. The photo looks good to me and is difficult to fix as I don't know how to do that now. I have another rejection, also in the category too or too little contrast.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1884737

Regards,

A388

Comment

Originally posted by A388
                    Okay thanks. I'm losing hope on this photo though. The photo looks good to me and is difficult to fix as I don't know how to do that now. I have another rejection, also in the category too or too little contrast.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=1884737

Regards,

A388
                    You know what, I'm going to re-upload the photos as darker versions and see what I get. As I have said before, I have had such sunset photos rejected for being too dark which I do not understand but I'll do that again and see if it works out in my favor this time.

Regards,

A388

Comment

I've also been having a lot of contrast issues since I started using decent glass. A lot of my shots get rejected the first time for too much contrast, so I decrease the contrast, and the photo looks washed out to me, but it gets accepted. Now I'm having issues with this one:

First try:

Second try:

On the second try, the screener was nice enough to leave a comment saying I had decreased the contrast too much (thanks!), so I am trying again:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1911545 (This is similar to the first one, except the vibrance is higher and the contrast is a bit higher).

Can someone post a couple of samples of what a histogram should look like in a properly-contrasted photo, and maybe also a couple of samples of what it should not look like? That would help me get it right, and I hate wasting the screeners' time on problems that should be so easy to fix...

(If it matters, I use a Canon 20D, and most of my shots are taken with a rented 100-400. I shoot RAW.)

Comment

Originally posted by adam642

Can someone post a couple of samples of what a histogram should look like in a properly-contrasted photo, and maybe also a couple of samples of what it should not look like? That would help me get it right, and I hate wasting the screeners' time on problems that should be so easy to fix...
                        Hi Adam, one of the screeners (Stefan Kuhn) made a quite useful guideline for contrast rejections and reading histograms. You will find it very useful: http://www.seahawk.gmxhome.de/contrastreject.pdf

Hope that helps.

cheers, Pamela

Comment

Originally posted by pdeboer
                          Hi Adam, one of the screeners (Stefan Kuhn) made a quite useful guideline for contrast rejections and reading histograms. You will find it very useful: http://www.seahawk.gmxhome.de/contrastreject.pdf

Hope that helps.

cheers, Pamela
                          It was quite interesting, but unfortunately, most of my shots are planes on a blue sky, so most of my histograms look like that last one that is crazy but correct I was looking for some info on differentiating good from bad with those sorts of shots.

Comment

Originally posted by adam642
                            It was quite interesting, but unfortunately, most of my shots are planes on a blue sky, so most of my histograms look like that last one that is crazy but correct I was looking for some info on differentiating good from bad with those sorts of shots.
                            I am sorry to say, but the histograms of your first and second shot are not 'crazy but correct' instead they are histograms of pics that typically lack contrast. Below are the histograms of those two images, you can see that the line is zero on the left and right. I indicated in red the part that you have to adjust:

cheers, Pamela

Comment

Working...
                            X