Lens advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens advice

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on finding a lens (from rental) to use for some very close range photography. I will be mostly photographing objects not much larger than a couple of CM and need to blow these shots up to 2ft (50cm/0.5m) with minimal distortion around the photo edges. This is for a project im working on which is somewhat time sensitive so any help given promptly would be much appreciated. Ill be using a Canon 30D so Canon gear only please.

Thanks

Non-av photography questions somewhat harder to answer or what?

Ok, well i was thinking something along the lines of:

Canon 180mm F3.5L
    or the 100mm F2.8

More inclined to go with the L as ive heard good things about the lens. Anyone got any advice in this area or have or have used these or similar lenses?

Comment

A Macro lens maybe ? I have heard good things about that Sigma 90mm 2.8 Macro and have one in my collection (old version though)

Comment

Yeah I figured a macro lens was the way forward, just wondering which would would do the best job really...

Comment

You know I have no idea about the Canon lenses

Comment

One day you'll see the light

Comment

Do Canon make proper lenses?

Andy

Comment

Andy, I just KNEW I could rely on you to make an informed, positive contribution.

However.....Dan, although I'm a Nikonian, this may help....

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/...ID=14200289031

As far as rental is concerned this may help...

http://www.lensrentals.com/

...but I would imagine there must be something in the Tottenham Court Road area ?
                Last edited by brianw999; 2008-04-25, 14:40.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by exmanx

Andy
                  Get outta here Andy !!!

Comment

"...but I would imagine there must be something in the Tottenham Court Road area ?"

And you would know all about that wouldn't you Brian!

Andy

Comment

My sources would recommend the 100 2.8 over the 180. click

But on the other hand the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro is so cheap, that you could buy instead of renting.

Btw. I did mean Tamron 90mm 2.8 in my first post. Canīt kkep those third partie lenses apart.
                      Last edited by seahawk; 2008-04-25, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                        Non-av photography questions somewhat harder to answer or what?

Ok, well i was thinking something along the lines of:

Canon 180mm F3.5L
                        or the 100mm F2.8

More inclined to go with the L as ive heard good things about the lens. Anyone got any advice in this area or have or have used these or similar lenses?
                        Have a word with Sam Rudge mate. I'm sure he's got one of those 2 or something similar and from what i've seen looks pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                          Yeah I figured a macro lens was the way forward, just wondering which would would do the best job really...
                          5 Choices.
                          1. EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro (Have used this one)(A good one for portraits).
                          2. EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro
                          3. MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo
                          4. EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
                          5. EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM

Comment

I have the 100 2.8 macro and love it to death. The details is amazing. It all really depends on how close you may get to the subjects. I got the 100 so I could get close, but not close enough in the case of insects and such.

Before the actual shoot you need to go try out the lens on objects to get used to the depth of field and the craziness. Here are three shots from a wedding this last weekend taken with the lens.

Taken probably half a foot away. Notice really only the top portion is in focus.

This was taken from pretty far away at 2.8 since it's a prime.

Taken less than half of a foot away and I believe the aperture was higher than 2.8 for this one.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
                          Tanner Johnson - Owner
                          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Thanks for the helpful advice guys. I've also had information from a helpful source suggesting I try 12mm and 25mm stacked extension tubes on a 50mm f1.8. (Thanks Tim)

I think the best bet is to head down to the professional camera shop I use and test a bunch of the recommendations listed above out and see which one suits my needs.

The depth of filed is something I am going to have to really work on to get the exact effect desired it would seem, as margin for error in terms of where the focus points end is minimal at best.

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

• Working...
                              X