No announcement yet.

Anyone out there using the Nikon.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there using the Nikon.......

.....D300 & 70-300mm VR combination ?????

I've been away from the scene for the last few months, but want to get back into the action. I now have a D300 (upgraded from a D70) and am amazed with its possibilites. I have the 70-300mm ED lens and a 18-200mm VR, however i am thinking of getting the 70-300mm VR !!!

Who has this combination and what are your impressions ????

(And before this degenerates into a Nikon vs. Canon discussion - just don't bother with it please. Lets keep to the facts and no bad mouthing "the other side" !! )

Oh and by the way, what custom settings do you D300 users use - if any ??? Any suggestions ???

Looking forward to some constructive info to getting the most out of one of the best cameras on the market now !!

Thx a lot & rgds from near EDDF.
    Martin

I haven't got a D300, but I do have a VR 70-300 paired to a D80.

An excellent lens which has transformed my panning shots. One of the few bits of trickery which makes an instant difference. Can't say much more than that really.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

second that, I've just got the lens, I took a pic outa my window of the approach to RWY 23 to RAF Northolt...
      As far as the body is concerned, I've got a D40X, so you should get some phenominal shots with your D300 paired with this lens.

this is what I got (first time)!!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

VR = on
      Mode= active

Speed is life... Altitude is life insurance

Comment

I have the same lens on a D50 and i love it. Ive not realy used it alot yet but i have noticed an instant improvement in my photos.

With a D300 you realy do whant a serious bit of glass to get the maximum quality out of the body and short of a prime for that focal range it is the best lens you will get.

Comment

Originally posted by airPLAINcrazy
          second that, I've just got the lens, I took a pic outa my window of the approach to RWY 23 to RAF Northolt...
          As far as the body is concerned, I've got a D40X, so you should get some phenominal shots with your D300 paired with this lens.

this is what I got (first time)!!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=1893182

VR = on
          Mode= active
          The sky appears really compressed in that photo mate, you can see radial arcs around the aircraft. Are you saving the image in the best quality in photoshop?

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
            The sky appears really compressed in that photo mate, you can see radial arcs around the aircraft. Are you saving the image in the best quality in photoshop?
            Didnt notice it before, but I see what you mean looking at it with my eyes squinted.
            Yep, saving as maximum 12.

I'll delete it from the que and have another go at editing it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by airPLAINcrazy
              VR = on
              Mode= active
              I use normal....the book (if anyone reads it) says that active is meant for shooting from a moving vehicle, whereas normal is for moving targets.

Now, use whatever you feel comfortable with. Maybe you get better shots with active, maybe not. Donno....do you have any with active mode up on the site (I use the D40 with it, so ours should be the same).

-Cam
              My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

I love my 70-300VR, my favorite thing about it is that it's so light and will actually fit in my camera bag with a couple other lenses and it has a fair bit of reach thanks to the wonders of crop factors. Unfortunately, living in a flat- featureless land I've never found anything that would be worthwhile for panning shots, but VR is always worth it in my opinion. The D300 body has advanced enough AF that it can engage all of its cross-type sensors with lenses all the way down to f/5.6.
                Originally posted by ollieholmes
                With a D300 you realy do whant a serious bit of glass to get the maximum quality out of the body and short of a prime for that focal range it is the best lens you will get.
                You've got a point, but in good light I can take equally decent photos with my 70-300VR or my 70-200VR.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                  I use normal....the book (if anyone reads it) says that active is meant for shooting from a moving vehicle, whereas normal is for moving targets.

Now, use whatever you feel comfortable with. Maybe you get better shots with active, maybe not. Donno....do you have any with active mode up on the site (I use the D40 with it, so ours should be the same).

-Cam
                  yep, you're right and I'm wrong!

Normal it is from now on!

having said that the above shot was taken with active...beginners luck probably lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Powercube
                    I love my 70-300VR, my favorite thing about it is that it's so light and will actually fit in my camera bag with a couple other lenses and it has a fair bit of reach thanks to the wonders of crop factors. Unfortunately, living in a flat- featureless land I've never found anything that would be worthwhile for panning shots, but VR is always worth it in my opinion. The D300 body has advanced enough AF that it can engage all of its cross-type sensors with lenses all the way down to f/5.6.

You've got a point, but in good light I can take equally decent photos with my 70-300VR or my 70-200VR.
                    I would prefer the 70-200VR with a TC over the 70-300 any day but the problem is the cost. The 70-300 is about £350 where as the 70-200VR is about £1000. At the moment i just dont have that kind of money to spend on a lens.

Also a 70-200 would not fit in alot of camera bags, it is a fixed length and rather long.

Comment

Also a 70-200 would not fit in alot of camera bags, it is a fixed length and rather long.
                      And heavy!

Comment

Originally posted by Powercube
                        And heavy!
                        That is true. But you have to remeber its got alot of glass in it, it is a F2.8 lens after all.

Comment

That is true. But you have to remeber its got alot of glass in it, it is a F2.8 lens after all.
                          And when you consider that optical glass costs approximately 1000USD/kg, you start to understand why that wonderful lens is going to give anyone who doesn't know how much the 200-400VR costs a huge case of sticker shock.

Comment

Ok, I used it on the D200 but gave it to my girlfriend and her D100 after trying it out. In good weather it is decent but if you can do without the 300mm I would prefer my beloved 80-200 2.8D non VR every day. You could for example get the 80-200 2.8D and the AF-S 300 4.0 prime to fit your D300.

Yet the 70-300 VR is a step up form the 70-300ED, especially in focus speed. And as you are shooting in EDDF the 300mm gives you the reach you need to get landings on the northern runway.

Comment

Thx all for the feedback. Thats what i expected, i haven't seen any real criticism of the lens anywhere. While its not a 70-200 2.8 VR (my dream lens but out of reach at the moment) it should do for now, seeing that spring & summer are on the way. I'm really hopeful that Nikon will bring out a new version for the 70-200 2.8 VR and / or 80-400 mm VR this year some time. That will then be a tough choice, but its only speculative at the moment.

Thx again, i will decide in the next few days

Rgds.
                              Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X