So i splashed out on a D70 today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i splashed out on a D70 today...

Second hand, just under 5k Shutter Actuations and 3.5 years old... Its in a slightly better than average condition (there is a little bit of dirt/dust in some of the crevices but no scratches (other than one or two slight ones on the bottom) and no marks or dents. Gonna send her away to get cleaned next week (There are a few dust spots on the sensor but i suppose thats to be expected).

With 2 lenses (18-50 and 70-300) 1GB CF and a very nice Lowepro shoulder bag.

Total Cost £250... Very happy with her... Just got to get used to handling NIkon now...

I used to own a 20D which i sold about 3 years ago. More than happy with the switch to the "Dark" side.

Is there anything i should know about with this camera? Any handy hints or tips? Should I upgrade the firmware (currently 1.02)

Anyone else hate/like this camera...

Cheers!

Kevin
    I Rule!

Originally posted by kaddyuk
    Any handy hints or tips?
    Don't eat yellow snow....

Comment

I've been using the D70 for more than 2 years now and the only tip I can give you is that it produces a greenish tint on every photo you take. So make sure you always correct that in post processing, either by removing the color cast or using the white point method.

Comment

Originally posted by magic48
        I've been using the D70 for more than 2 years now and the only tip I can give you is that it produces a greenish tint on every photo you take. So make sure you always correct that in post processing, either by removing the color cast or using the white point method.
        Is this not a fault with camera settings?

Don't eat yellow snow....
        I Rule!

Comment

I was gona say, enjoy your colour cast. Gota love Nikon's

Comment

You can correct the WB settings. Auto produces a little greenish tint, if you correct the Auto setting to -1 or -2 most of the green cast problem should be history for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
              I was gona say, enjoy your colour cast. Gota love Nikon's
              Just like the Red tint out of Canons Hey Dan??

And I think it was only the D70 that showed this particular trait....

Comment

Had my D70 for 3 years now, got some great results in all types of photography.

Only thing I would suggest is to add a little +/EV compemsation to your aviation shots as it tends to underexpose a bit. Also interested to see what you think using ISO's over 400 as I get a fair bit of noise. At ISO 200, no problems.

Carl

Comment

Originally posted by cf73

Only thing I would suggest is to add a little +/EV compemsation to your aviation shots as it tends to underexpose a bit. Also interested to see what you think using ISO's over 400 as I get a fair bit of noise. At ISO 200, no problems.

Carl
                  Going back to when this camera was made, they'd only just really started to really make an improvement on Noise over ISO400... I know my 20D was fine till about ISO800...

I dont expect this camera to have amazing noise ability but i'm not going to be taking aviation photos with it (maybe one or two). Its mostly going to be portraits and friends... Not really into the whole standing by a runway anymore since i already spend 12hrs a night on the ramp which gets tedious enough...
                  I Rule!

Comment

Can't say ive ever noticed a tint on either my D60 or 30D as bad as that produced by the D70...

Comment

Originally posted by cf73

Carl
                      I will echo Carl's comments as well, I've also had mine for 3 yrs and love it. You will need the compensation and the noise is there at 400 ISO. I use this now as my static/family camera now that I have a D200.

Comment

I love mine though I use my D300 now I still keep my D70s, the only thing I didn't like was the green colour cast, and poor noise-handling capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                        X