Nikon D80 - Camera Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D80 - Camera Advice

well as of now I have a very crappy sony P&S and it seems everytime I use it it fails to focus on subjects and my pictures are getting more and more out of focus/ soft. So since I work for bestbuy I was checking in on cameras and different employee prices, and found that bestbuy has accomidations through Nikon. A D80 (bdy only) was $599 and this lense = http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...G_AF_S_VR.html

was $340. so im thinking its a pretty good deal but I want sum users to give me some feedback before I make a pretty big purchase (only 19 and make crappy money).. your help is appreciated...
    Thanks
    Ed

Don't bother with the D80. I have the D40 and that Lens and it's all I need. Save your money for a future purchase of the D300.
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

I think that's a pretty nice price for that combo !
      I would got for it !! The D80 is a very reliable and
      good camera !
      Aero-Camera
      Taking photography to a higher level

Comment

Hey!

As a backup I have found the D-80 to be very reliable. I carry it onboard most flights, for the flash feature and size as well as just about every place I go on vacation. It's never packed.

My personal lens of choice is the 24-120 VR which is SOLID and great for a lot of the stuff I do on SXM. Zero problems in 3 years.

The only problem I have is that the " OK " key is on the right side of the screen. It's nice to have all the keys on the left.

If you feel you need the longer lens; great, but the versatility of the 24-120 shows up in all the other photo tasks you may have outside of plane shots.

ENJOY!

Denis

Comment

I stepped up from a D70S and I now have two D80 bodies, one with a Nikon 18-135 and the other with the 70-300 VR that you mention. At the prices you can get them for ? .... well, I'd take your fingers off for those prices.

A good solid camera with an excellent choice of lens. The 70-300 VR setup is the one I use the most for my aviation shooting unless I'm shooting aircraft that I can get up close to. I'd recommend that setup given the cost and your personal circumstances. With a 10.2 mpixel sensor the D80 will see you well into the future.

One tip with the VR lens. If you're shooting stationary objects turn the VR off.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Yep, D80 + 18-70 AF-S VR + 70-300 AF-S VR is all your normal spotting needs can require. You can save some money with a D60 though.

Comment

If you can afford the D80, buy it. It may take a touch longer to learn the ropes but once you do you won't be thinking "I wish I'd bought the D80"

Besides, if Brian can use it, anyone can!!

Andy

Comment

Besides, if Brian can use it, anyone can!!
                Andy, I have given your eloquent reply some long and thoughtful consideration.

All things being equal, and with no probable change on the horizon, my considered opinion is.......

BOLLOCKS !
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I can only echo everyone elses comments. The D80 is a fabolous body and that lens is very nice to. At those prices i would love one.

Comment

I purchased a D-80 after my D-2x died and was very surprised with the focus speed and image quality from it. I now use it as second body for airshows and such with my D-300 the main body.

For what you pay the D-80 is a great choice in my book.
                    Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

ed i think you should buy my nikon 70-300 lens off of me since i wanna get the 40D...what do ya say buddy help me out here riddle has me in a hole lol

Comment

Working...
                      X