Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Bag

Hi.
    I'm planning on getting a new camera bag since at the moment I have only one body and I just chuck it into my backpack.

I will soon be adding a second body and also I've just bought a canon 100-400 L IS and I want it protecting a bit!

The bag will be used also to carry food/a jacket during the day with the equipment.
    It should be sized enough to fit as hand baggage since I plan on taking it with me this summer.

The full load is:
    40d with 100-400 L IS
    350d with 28-135 or 18-55 kit lens
    ipod

thanks a lot for any suggestions - I'm in the uk so I was looking at Jessops/Jacobs.

Jay
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes

I use a small version of a soft suitcase which has wheels and an extending handle. You can find them in most shops selling baggage. In it I carry two D80's fitted with a 70-300 and an 18-135. I keep the lens bags over the lenses and pad out with some foam. Although it's not a camera bag it has several plus points...

1. It's nowhere near as costly as a camera bag. (Mine cost £10.99 in one of the cheap baggage shops).
    2. There's enough room also for a lightweight jacket and sandwich box.
    3. External pockets for batteries, charger and SD cards.
    4. You can pull it along on wheels.
    5. It's more shock-proof than a soft bag.
    6. They are made to the exact size for hand baggage so no smartass check-in clerk can make you stick it in the hold.

I find it so useful that I rarely use my aluminium case now.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks Brian.
      Would a bag from 'antler' or something be what you have?

Is it easy to carry around?
      I've had a look at a bag I've got, but it is annoying to carry for a long while - it bangs into my knees.

I'm gonna be carrying it quite a lot - airshows and also when I go abroad I normally walk round airports (AMS took a LONG time to get round!)

Comment

Would a bag from 'antler' or something be what you have?
        That's the kind of thing. To be exact, this......

BELOW>>>
        With D80 and 70-300 for scale. Internal pocket for flat documents such as travel insurance documents, legally obtained safety cards for an American collector !! etc.......

BELOW>>>>
        Top external pocket big enough for spare batteries, SD cards, house keys, mains battery charger, electric plug converter, coin currency, mobile phone and charger. ( I HATE pissing about taking coins and phones out of my pockets when going thru security !!)
        Lower external pocket big enough for a Tom Clancy paperback !, passport, travel documents.....

This particular bag is bang on the maximum current size limit for UK hand baggage. You will get away with a bit bigger on major scheduled airlines but don't try anything bigger with the lo-costs and charters. They'll use ANY excuse to screw more money out of you or insist the bag goes in the hold....which you have to pay for !

By the way...ignore the background...we're decorating !!

I have a theory.
        The person who invented f**k**g should be decorated.

The person who invented decorating however, should be f**ked !!
        Last edited by brianw999; 2008-05-20, 21:04.

Comment

Thanks again Brian.
          I'm gonna have a rummage round and see what I can find at home.

House doesn't look to bad - we had our entire hallway replastered after a pipe leak. It took 8 weeks with a dehimidifier to sort out :s

Comment

I've been using a Lowepro Phototrekker classic for the last few years and it's been all over the place with me.
            I can fit 40d with 70-200+1.4x attached, 400d with no lens, 24-105 and 10-22 all in. 2 zip pockets on the front for food/jacket/drink.
            Perfect size to throw in an overhead or under the seat in front of you.
            Only thing I miss is a laptop pocket, so will be changing it soon for something that can take my laptop too.

Comment

See if the slingshot 300W can fix all your gears. I found it quite helpful specially for your equipment and some other things like a bottle of water, passport, .......

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I'm gonna go to Jacobs with all my stuff and dump it on the desk and see which bag fits it all it!

Comment

Originally posted by Burrd255314
                  Thanks everyone.

I'm gonna go to Jacobs with all my stuff and dump it on the desk and see which bag fits it all it!
                  Haha, I bet they'll love you for doing that!

Comment

The cherry on the top is when I leave and get it cheaper online

Comment

The cherry on the top is when I leave and get it cheaper online
                      That's the way to do it....Use and Abuse.

Comment

I have the tamrac 9 in which i can get 2 digital + 1 film body + 3 lenses (inc 100-400), batteries + spare cards. It also has a laptop pocket + top pocket (ideal for pens, chargers, travel docs etc)

The only downside is it can get quite heavy with the above in it!

Comment

Working...
                        X