Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens filter for Digital

Hi all,

First time poster, I am just about to start in DSLR photography, have been an aviation buff ( spotter/airband listener ) for more years than I care to mention ...!

I wonder what type of good 'everyday' filter you would recommend for DSLR/Sigma lens ...? if it is needed..?

Sorry for the simple question but this is a completely new field to me,
    so lots to learn which I am looking forward to as it will give a new hobby.

thanks for any assistance,

kind regards,

Steve / UK

If you want to protect the glass on front of your lens from damage. Use UV Filter.

I use all Hoya Filter UV 0 for all my lens to protect them from scratch, damage...

Comment

A polarizing filter is the only filter that photoshop cannot 'recreate' 'easily' (Lots of arguments about this). Most people have a UV filter for protection.
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Hi folks,

Many thanks for the advice guys, I was thinking protection for my lens too, forgot to mention that, had a long day yesterday I will purchase a UV filter to get me started and view any posts for further info on any additional thoughts.

I subscribe to Airlinerworld magazine, recently they did a six part series of DSLR photography which I have been reading, some very helpful information there.

MY DSLR is a Canon 10D with grip and a Sigma 28-300mm lens, I am on a
        tight buget so the lens was within the bounds of my 'limit' I hope this lens
        will give me some good shots when I have learnt to use the camera properly
        in composition and exsposure etc.

Adobe Photoshop CS is way out of my leaque in respect of cost, can you recommend any software that would be good for editing my pictures ..?

kind regards,

Steve / UK

Comment

Steve,
          Nothing wrong with that lens as a budget lens. It has it's limitations, but you will get to know those as you progress.
          It will also give you time to research other suitable lenses in focal lengths that you need/prefer.
          On the filter.....there are varying arguments on the merit of filters for protection, but to be honest I would save your money.
          Keep your lens hood attached, or the lens cap on when the hood is off.
          My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

You can pick up Hoya HMC Multi Coat filters for next to nothing off E-Bay. not only do they protect your lens but multi coat stops sun flare and even flare at night.

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, be interesting to see how my Sigma performs, one thing that did surprise me was the multiplication factor of 1.6 due to the sensor size giving 45- 480 mm.

Over the next 12 months I will put moneys aside to get an IS type lens but for now, whilst I'm learning this new hobby my Sigma will be just the ticket. If over time I can get results anywhere near as good as some of the splendid photographs I have viewed here I will be more than happy.

kind regards,

Steve / UK

Comment

Hi Steve,

I would strongly recommend a UV filter mainly for the protection of the front of your lens. If the filter gets scratched you can just buy another one, they are very cheap, but if you scratch the front glass on the lens itself you are buggered.
                I polarising filter would be a good option also to reduce glare and bring out the colours more, no use as the light fades though as you will lose approx two stops. ie if you want to shoot at say 500th/sec, once you put the polariser on you may have to shoot at say 125th/sec. Depending on the light you may not have a wide enough apeture to accomodate this.
                Photoshop CS is expensive, but if you get the Photoshop Elements it will provide you with more than enough to get going.

Cheers
                Carl

Comment

Hi Carl,

Thanks for replying, much appreciated, good point re protection of the lens, I will be visiting my local camera store tomorrow as my Sigma lens arrived today
                  so I can make sure I get the correct size UV filter fitment, will also look into a polarising filter as well, thanks for the tips there re F stops/speed.

Just Googled for PS Elements, that is much more in line with my budget, thanks for that.

kind regards

Steve / UK

Comment

for me UV is unnecesary (just my opinion)... for protection a neutral filter it'll be more than fine.

cheers!

Will I ever repeat this?

Comment

Hi Gatto,

Thanks for the reply, was unable to get the time to visit the camera store
                      will discuss with the sales guy, when I get there, all the folks have said here.

kind regards,

Steve / UK

Comment

Working...
                      X