No announcement yet.

Adive please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a look at the Nikon D50. Oky it has not got the high megapixel count of alot of the new base line slrs but it is a sound camera. My one i have had now over 3 years and it is still going strong with somewhere in the region of 55,000 shutter actuations on it.

The D70 from Nikon is also highly rated. I have never used one myself but i have herd alot of good things about them.

Alot of people out there will say buy a Canon but it is down to you. Both Canon and Nikon make very good cameras and they are the only two digital SLR makers i would ever use. Either manufacture i would be happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by ollieholmes
      Have a look at the Nikon D50. Oky it has not got the high megapixel count of alot of the new base line slrs but it is a sound camera. My one i have had now over 3 years and it is still going strong with somewhere in the region of 55,000 shutter actuations on it.

The D70 from Nikon is also highly rated. I have never used one myself but i have herd alot of good things about them.

Alot of people out there will say buy a Canon but it is down to you. Both Canon and Nikon make very good cameras and they are the only two digital SLR makers i would ever use. Either manufacture i would be happy with.
      Both of these cameras are good, I currently own a D70. But remember that technology moves very quickly and the D70 is outdtated in comparison to the new models out now ie D60 and D80. Try and go for a new model if you can.

Also one thing to remember is that when you invest in one brand of camera, Nikon or Canon, you are investing into a complete system - lenses and body. The lenses you buy will be compatible to any future camera you buy of the same brand.

What this means is to think carefully, read reviews and look at your budget, because it will be very expensive down the line to change from one brand to another as you will have to replace all the lenese.

Like I said I have Nikon, my father has Canon. Each as good as eachother, and like mantioned above a lot of it comes down to the photographer. Just try and get familiar with which one in Nikon compares to one in Canon. A D300 in Nikon is not a direct comparison to a 400D in Canon. The D300 is a semi-pro camera, where the 400D Canon is an entry level DSLR.

Good luck..!!

Comment

I would have thought something like Canons 20D or 5D is more like Nikons D300. They are both one step away from the likes of the D3 and the Canon 1D MkIII which are most definatly pro bodys.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmir Hamidovic
          So far i am leaning with the Nikon D60..what do you think?
          Good price and good resolution.
          As you are new to the game and do not have to think about using already owned lenses, the D40X with a better lens makes more sense then D60. Both require AF-S or AF-I lenses to make the AF work.

I would prefer the D40X and the 18-55 AF-S VR II + 70-300 AF-S VR to D60 + 18-55 AF-S VR + 55-200 AF-S VR.

I would always recommend to buy the better lens not the better body, as the lenses will be used much, much longer. (Some of mine are 15 years now and still work perfectly fine)

Comment

Don't discount the Sony's, they have one big advantage over the Nikon's and Canon's - built in anti-shake. on the camera body.

Nikon and Canon do not have this feature and I suspect with the investment in their VR/IS lenses are not likely to anytime soon, VR and IS lenses are much more expensive than normal lenses and tend to be bigger and heavier.

I've just traded in my Nikon D70 and D1X cameras and associated lenses for a Sony A350 - so far I'm happy with the results.

Colin

Comment

Will a Nikon D70 be good for spotting with it's original lenses?
              BH Airlines A319

Comment

I started with a Nikon D70S. I used the kit 18-70 and a non VR 70-300 G lens. While I have quite a few pics in the database using that camera setup you need to be pretty exact with your settings to get an uploadable image. Expect to discard 50% of your shooting as not to current JP standards unless you learn to use it at its very best ( which actually is what you should aim to do anyway with ANY camera ).

I'm not saying that it's a bad camera, When screening I accept a good number of pics taken with it and quite a few photogs use one. It's downsides are a tendency to a green cast and the 6 megapixel sensor is at the bottom end of todays' standards.

I'm not going to get into the Canon vs Nikon argument here. Both make damn good cameras but I personally feel that the Nikons are more solid. I have absolutely no experience of Canons anyway having always been a Nikon user.

If you want a good starter I would go for a new or second hand D80 with an 18 - 135 and/or 70 - 300VR. If you can only afford one lens then I'd say that the 70 - 300VR would be the better bet. A new kit will normally come with an 18 - 70 which is at the bottom end of the Nikon lens range but is still a perfectly useable lens. A second hand unit will probably be sold with the same lens as the user will likely have upgraded to a better short focal length zoom to go with with their upgrade. An alternative is to go for a body only and add the lens/lenses of your choice. One thing that does need to be said here is that the best quality of the glass on the front of whatever body you choose will always give the best quality of picture.

Finally, the most important item in good picture taking is ?

......the brain and eyes that control the finger that pushes the shutter release button. THAT'S what makes a picture.

A short one sentence story to illustrate that last comment. A friend of mine once won the "Best picture of the Year " in our camera club. ( 300+ active members, using Canons, Nikons, Leica's, Hasselblads etc. )

He used probably the cheapest 35mm SLR camera and lens available at that time !!
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks for all the adivce guys..i need to save some money up and i might get a $1000 camera in two months before school starts again.

Nikon D80 looks nice
                  BH Airlines A319

Comment

Why. Honestly the D40X with good lenses will work for you a long time. As a beginner it might even be the better choice. The more options the camera offers the more confusion can happen.

And I must say that my girlfried is still using a D100 (old !!) with the AF-S 70-300VR lense and she gets 80+% of here images as possbile up-load and has an accpetance ratio of 90+% here. (and no I am not screening her images) So the D70s should work as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X