Photo usage request advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo usage request advice.

Hello everyone. I have just received an email from a man representing Lila Design the company that designed such liveries as the A.net first-class member wing and [photoid=6254663] Nolinor Aviation. Not surprisingly, the contact was based around the shot I have posted. He would like to place it on this website. Having never found myself in such a situation before, I am not sure what to do. Given that this is a for-profit company, something does not entirely sit right with me in giving it to them for free. I suppose my question is, if I should charge a fee; What should it be? I am not entirely averse to other methods of payment (cases of beer, a herd of goats)I know one of my fellow Alberta photographers has his image up there- if you can chime in Mr. Sands (even via PM), I'd love to hear about your experience in dealing with this firm.

I wouldn't charge them to much, around $50 - 100 USD give or take. This is me personally though, the final choice is down to you. Just remember if you jump in with an over zealous amount your likely to end up with nothing as they will look elsewhere. Just remember anything you get is better than nothing .

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
      I wouldn't charge them to much, around $50 - 100 USD give or take. This is me personally though, the final choice is down to you. Just remember if you jump in with an over zealous amount your likely to end up with nothing as they will look elsewhere. Just remember anything you get is better than nothing .
      That was my thinking too. Thank you for confirming my modest aspirations.

Comment

Go for what it's worth. There is a program called FotoQuote but I doubt you want to spend $150 for it.

Don't go cheap. They make hundreds of thousands doing their work, and it would cost them hundreds if not thousands to get a photographer to get a photo like yours, but they know they can just get one from someone because of sites like this.

The quote I am seeing for usage is $740 if I have a general idea of what they want. I know you won't ask for that, but that's just showing you what it would cost if they hired someone to use only the image, not paying for time.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
          Don't go cheap. They make hundreds of thousands doing their work, and it would cost them hundreds if not thousands to get a photographer to get a photo like yours, but they know they can just get one from someone because of sites like this.
          No, the one thing I know is to never give anything away for free to a for-profit entity. Not only does it devalue my work, it devalues everyone's work. I have made them an offer that I think is fair between the values both of you have suggested. Hopefully this goes well, I could always use some cash to pay for diesel and potato crisps.

Comment

Sounds good, keep us updated. I'm interested in seeing this.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

You might find this link to the UK National Union of Journalists guide to photographers fees......

http://media.gn.apc.org/feesguide/photo.html
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                You might find this link to the UK National Union of Journalists guide to photographers fees......

http://media.gn.apc.org/feesguide/photo.html
                Thank you, that said- I have yet to hear back from the firm. If this has indeed become an ex-parrot of a deal, hopefully it is not the last. I was really looking forward to an extra bag of crisps

Comment

Working...
                X