Need mid-range lens suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need mid-range lens suggestion

I was looking at the - Sigma AF 18-200mm DC OS. Do you guys think this lens is any good?

I have the canon 28-135mm IS USM and it stinks at any kind of motion shots (soft all the time). Its stellar with subjects that are standing still.

I was wondering if any of you recommend this or any other semi-wide angle lens (low end at 18-30mm and higher end at 135-200mm).

I wish i had the 2300$$ for the Canon 28-300mm L IS USM lens.

regards,
    Saurabh

Originally posted by saupatel
    I wish i had the 2300$$ for the Canon 28-300mm L IS USM lens.
    No you don't.

The 70-200 f4 is magical, and cheap!
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel
      I have the canon 28-135mm IS USM and it stinks at any kind of motion shots (soft all the time). Its stellar with subjects that are standing still.

I was wondering if any of you recommend this or any other semi-wide angle lens (low end at 18-30mm and higher end at 135-200mm).
      Hello Saurabhbhai,

I have the 28-105 & its a fire-cracker of a lens, sharp as hell & very fast - heck besides the first 100-110 photos of mine in the database, almost all of them & ALL the recent nightshots are shot with that lens.

Its truely fantastic, wonder why it isnt an L but its surely that for me though.

Otherwise, i bought the 55-250IS about 2 months ago & i'm really enjoying it, nice-nice lens not exactly L quality but just about.
      Here's an image shot with it - [photoid=6269132]
      Considering its price - $279.95/- on B&H its really value-for-money, for the amount of money that you pay for it tht is.

I'm only not sugesting the 70-200 L's beacuse you indicate you want your lowest focal length range to be around 18-30mm however 55mm isnt to bad.

Cheers - Vishal

Comment

Seems like you are looking for a superzoom more or less. Well all thos have their drawbacks, so I would rather go with 2 lenses instead.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
          Seems like you are looking for a superzoom more or less.
          Nah man, the reference i made to the 28-300L was because it was an all-in-one lens and a good one at that. I already have the 100-400L for the higher zoom range so I want something from a wde angle to 100mm or 200mm. There are places i will be visiting in the near future which will demand good wide-angle lens (like the famous "myrtle ave" @ LHR).

Its just that me and my friend took a bunch of test 'action' shots with the 28-135 and we were extremely dissapointed with the sharpness. So i want to replace that lens.

I will first try out Vishal's suggestion. Luckily we have a cheap rental store nearby .

thanks for the suggestions
          regards,
          Saurabh

Comment

How about a strange idea :

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD

+

Tokina AF 50-135mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX

Comment

Stefan, do you have experiences with Tamron lenses? I'm asking because I'm eager to update my equipment as well.
              greetings,
              Philip

Comment

I must admit I have 2. A cheapo 28-300 which I use for travel and I must say it is very soft. (but very practical if you are hiking on tenerife)

The other is the 90mm Macro 2.8, which is awesome. Like all 3rd party suppliers they have good and bad lenses. The 17-50 made a good impression on me and gets a good rating at photozone.

Comment

Sigma 18-200 with OS

Hi Saurabh

I have the SIGMA 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS and the Optical Stab it makes all the difference. THere are lots of my pictures taken with that lens for ex:
                  JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I now own the Sigma 120-400mm also with OS and a tremendous lens. Pictures to come.

Comment

Canon's 24-105 F4L is awesome. Mine fits in nicely between my 10-22 and 70-200.

Comment

Working...
                    X