First DSLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First DSLR

Howdy everyone, first time poster here. I recently sold my Panasonic FZ20 and I'm looking to move to a DSLR. I just wanted to get opinions on a good camera for aviation photography. I am here at college so I'm on somewhat of a tight budget. Say $800 max for everything (bag etc). I will also be using the camera for car meets/races as I'm an auto enthusiast also.

So far this is what I've been interested in.

Olympus E-510 (Has all the features but the image quality to back it up?)
    Sony A200 (Again all the features sans liveview, but picture quality?)
    Nikon D40X/D60 (Proven quality, $$$ for lenses with VR)
    Canon 400D (Proven quality, $$$$ for lenses with IS)

The A200 comes in the cheapest at $500 with kit lens...then I could spring for a nice 70-300 to be used out at the airports.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Canon, Canon, Canon!

Although I do use a Nikon D3 on most of my shoots.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
      Canon, Canon, Canon!

Although I do use a Nikon D3 on most of my shoots.
      I'd like to pick up a 400D but I'm afraid it would stretch my budget just a bit to thin with a good 70-300 stabilized lens.

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra
        I'd like to pick up a 400D but I'm afraid it would stretch my budget just a bit to thin with a good 70-300 stabilized lens.
        If your short on funds, why not go for standard 70-300 or 55-200mm lens. When you can, work your way up to a stabilizer lens?

Canon, Canon, Canon!

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
          If your short on funds, why not go for standard 70-300 or 55-200mm lens. When you can, work your way up to a stabilizer lens?

The guys at wolf camera were saying I'd really want the IS or VR on those longer lenses.

I guess at the shutter speed I'm going to be shooting to catch a plane at 150 knots it wouldn't matter much anyways?

Comment

IS/VR is always helpfull with a long lens no matter what shutter speed you are using.

The best advice i can give you is to go into a shop and try the cameras. For me there is nothing to choose between the Nikon and the Canon. I am a Nikon man myself but the Canon is just as good. It realy comes down to personal choice.

Comment

That being said, dont just buy a camera because of the camera, the lens' are your real investments. You will have a few camera bodys over the years, but a quality lens will stay with you.
              Sam Rudge
              A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

My advice:

Buy a camera that meets your needs (not the most expensive) and the best lenses you can afford. I'd rather have a D40 with VR lenses than a D300 with non-VR. Live view is over-rated. You're used to it because it was on your old camera. But a real viewfinder is the best live view you can get.
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                  My advice:

Buy a camera that meets your needs (not the most expensive) and the best lenses you can afford. I'd rather have a D40 with VR lenses than a D300 with non-VR. Live view is over-rated. You're used to it because it was on your old camera. But a real viewfinder is the best live view you can get.
                  I wasn't planning on using liveview to take the shot but rather to set all the settings and make sure the picture would come out exposed correctly.

I have a little experience with shutter/aperture/ISO but not a whole lot.

The only reason I worry about the D40 is the selection of lenses available.

Comment

Hold the cameras, try the menus and then see which you like,

Canon and nikon have the most gear available and also the biggest choices from 3rd party suppliers. And as you buy into a system, I think this is important to consider. The Sony is a close brother to D80/D200.

The Olympus has a jpg engine that tends to clip highlights and lacks dynamic range. Imho not good for spotting, as you will need to use RAW most of the time. In addition the noise filter is not very balanced and makes the pics soft. And the viewfinder of 4/3rds is also not as good as the others.
                    Last edited by seahawk; 2008-07-17, 06:31.

Comment

Thanks for the help again everyone.

The Sony fits most comfortably in my hands. I'm bordering on 6'2 so I have larger hands and the Canon and Nikon are both very small bodies, unless I wait a while until I can financially step up to the 40D.

Also the Pentax K200D has got some good reviews, but I can't find it anywhere close to me to hold it and test it out. Anyone know anything about it?

Comment

Sony has the IS/VR built in to the body so doesn't require expensive VR/IS lenses.

If Live View is something you need then look at the Sony A350, it has the best version currently available on a DSLR.

The point about a cheaper body and a better lens is true, there are a lot of good 2nd hand Minolta lenses available that you can uise with Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by col1962
                          Sony has the IS/VR built in to the body so doesn't require expensive VR/IS lenses.

If Live View is something you need then look at the Sony A350, it has the best version currently available on a DSLR.

The point about a cheaper body and a better lens is true, there are a lot of good 2nd hand Minolta lenses available that you can uise with Sony.
                          I may end up getting the A300 body by itself and also a couple minolta lenses.

I've heard the kit lenses that come with the Sony offerings right now are pretty shabby.

A minolta 70-300 AF seems rather easy to find through a google search.

Maybe this is the way to go.

Comment

IS is not a need. The way I describe the people in places like Wolf and Ritz camera are "total idiots" just trying to make a sell. Do the research on your own and come to your own conclusion. Don't let them talk you into anything. Make the decision on your own.

I shoot professionally and don't have a single lens that is Image Stabilized. It's a luxury, not a need.
                            Tanner Johnson - Owner
                            twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra
                              I wasn't planning on using liveview to take the shot but rather to set all the settings and make sure the picture would come out exposed correctly.
                              If this is what your using it for then just take the shot and have a look at the histogram after youve shot it, far more reliable.

With point and shoots live view accomplished you seeing what the sensor sees, that was its benefit. With a DSLR you see what the sensor sees anyway, so its one advantage is gone.
                              Sam Rudge
                              A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Working...
                              X