New DSLR Arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DSLR Arrived!

Got my D60 with 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR in the mail today.

I was going to go for the Pentax K200D but with the news of the D90 on the horizon I went with the D60 kit in hopes of upgrading to the D80 body within the next few months.

Tomorrow I'll be taking it down to Dallas Love and possibly Dallas-Fort Worth if I have enough time to test her out.

Hopefully I'll have a few shots on JP.net and Airliners by the end of the weekend.

Look forward to seeing some KDFW pics....one of my fav' airports (but then, I'm a tad biased ).

Shame you didn't get that K20. I shoot with a Samsung GX10 (AKA Pentax K10), and it would have been great to see some shots on the site.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by UKbruce
      Look forward to seeing some KDFW pics....one of my fav' airports (but then, I'm a tad biased ).

Shame you didn't get that K20. I shoot with a Samsung GX10 (AKA Pentax K10), and it would have been great to see some shots on the site.

Bruce
      Lol I think you're a tad confused between the K200D and K20D.

The K200D is the entry level model, the K20D is the 12 megapixel semi-pro level.

I wish I could have afforded the K20D.

Comment

I own the K20D (14.6MP). Absolutely awesome camera. As much as aviation photography is a Canikon world, the K20D would give them a real run for their money.

Comment

Congrats on your new camera and hope you enjoy it a lot!
          A portuguese photojournalist living in Brazil.

Comment

I own the D40x with the same lenses... If you need help, simply mail me

Comment

A very good choice of camera and lenses. I look forward to seing some photos from it.

Comment

Originally posted by ollieholmes
                A very good choice of camera and lenses. I look forward to seing some photos from it.
                Can anyone recommend what auto focus mode I should be in for plane spotting. I know I should probably leave it on AF-C (AF Servo) but what "focus area" should I select? The entire frame, or closest subject?

Comment

take AF-C, which means, that the AF is permanently working. Then take the select the AF field in the middle for focusing. I recommend that you take the manual mode everytime. for sun with ISO 100 is F9 and 1/500 a good choice. try white balance auto, but when there should be any lack in colours try PREset. The lens has all in one a good sharpness, but you should take photos only with F8+ if not more... In Quality you should use the fulll and fine. switch of everythink which the camera would like to do automaticly. i also recommend, that you shouldn't use the aperture mode. thats only in diffouse light a halfways good choice. when you select the light settings also check the histogram. when it's all over in the middle, you took a good photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffen Koschlig
                    I own the D40x with the same lenses... If you need help, simply mail me
                    Yeah ! I finally found someone that uses the same material than me ! The lenses are great indeed. I hope though that the D60 doesn't have the color problems I encountered with my D40X...

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

So far the colors seem pretty true to life. I didn't notice a very big difference between Normal, Vivid, and More Vivid other than saturated, more saturated, and most saturated.

The location I will be at today services only Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, and Continental Express.

I might drive over to KDFW but with no spotters park I've been run off by security the last couple times.

At KDAL there is a park literally a stones toss from the end of the runway. Kind of like St. Marteen but its a lake park instead of a beach and an ocean.

I have the camera as of now setup to shoot raw, af-c, full frame focus. (I might change that to the one that depicts a motorcycle rider, as the camera suggests that may be a better option for moving objects and panning) Colors to Vivid, and Noise Reduction on...should I switch that to off?

It is supposed to be 107 degrees today...so if I don't die...I'll have a bunch of Southwest 737s and American MD80s posted up later tonight.

Comment

yeah, usually the colours are realistic for sure, but sometimes, in "extreme" situations the lens i use is really blue. atteched you'll find two links, whcih show the situation really good. one photo is taken by my friend, who uses a 20 with the 70-200, and stand next to me, the other, second one is the mine. later i edited it some more, now it looks realistic too but have a look on it.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6282927&nseq=6

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...282791&nseq=53

Comment

Working...
                        X