Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Circular Polarizer filter Use it or not Use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular Polarizer filter Use it or not Use it?

Hello people,

I would like to "hear" your opinions about the use of the Circular Polarizer filter in our hobby. Shell we use it or not? And what condictions you will using it?

Thanks in advance
    José Luis Silva
    A portuguese photojournalist living in Brazil.

No one?

Comment

In all honesty i wouldnt bother .

I personally see no valid reason to have one , ive never seen the need for using one , unless its just an added protection for the glass then just get a clear filter .

Save your money

regards

Comment

I use one sometimes, on very sunny/bright days (so not too often here in the UK ). Also good for those close shots, where you want to see through windows.

Comment

I used one for ladscape photography, but gave it up on aviation photography years ago.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

What Gerardo said.

I have a circular polariser for my 17-40 and my 17-40 only, because of its use for landscapes. A circ Polariser restricts what light can enter your camera, cutting down on glare from water, removing haze from the sky and such, the result, a darker blue sky, more luscious greens, more intense reds, all colours with better saturation, less glare from wet surfaces.
            Sam Rudge
            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I prefer to use spot metering rather than a polarizer. The polarizer does take aware glare but the reduction in shutter speed is not worth it. At least spot metering helps control the highlights effectively.

Comment

Thank your heads up. I will save some money now.

Comment

Originally posted by NickN
                  I prefer to use spot metering rather than a polarizer. The polarizer does take aware glare but the reduction in shutter speed is not worth it. At least spot metering helps control the highlights effectively.
                  I didnt think anyone tried it change your metering and exposure, it was about controlling the colours.
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I use it very often under bended canopys of small aircrafts e.g. when overflying an airport or a city (see forum banner ). It is also cool for static displays and for action on small grass airfields.

But I recognized a reduced resolution when examining pics @ 100%.

I got many nice shots and I'm glad to have spent the money. Someone spending 3000$ for his equipment and saving another 100$ for some accessorys can't be taken seriously...

Comment

Great for landscape work, not so for aviation photography.

Comment

Working...
                      X