How to take a shot like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take a shot like this?

I was wondering how to get a shot like this to turn out with the aircraft lit up in one part of the photo and a trail of lights behind it. I'm assuming I have to use bulb mode, second-shutter sync on my external flash, manual mode, an f/stop around 8, and ISO 100 or 200, and mounted on a tripod. Are there any other things that I need to take into consideration when taking a shot like this? I will be attempting the shot at Gravelly Point if that helps any.

-Chris

Bump.

I'm going up to DCA this weekend and hope to be able to take advantage of my new DSLR. Anybody?

-Chris

Comment

Since nobody else replied I'll give it a shot. I hear what they do is use a long exposure then fire a very powerful flash when the aircraft flies over.

Comment

.....I hear what they do is use a long exposure then fire a very powerful flash when the aircraft flies over.

.......and then run away quickly before they get arrested !

Because to get that much light coverage it would have to be a VERY powerful flash, and I can't see you being a very popular person around an airport firing off flashes like that.

Frankly, and this has nothing to do with the site that you used for your example, I think that picture is blurry, grainy, cut off and generally poor quality.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Usually it is a long exposure shot in which you point the camera into the sky and set one or more powerful flash into stroposcope mode and hope you catch the plane at the right posiiton.

Here I can not explain how it was done, as the light trails from the landing lights of the plane do not go beyond the wings as they should using the technique I described.

Comment

Not sure about Canons, but in the Nikons it's called Slow Flash Sync. Allows for a flash and long exposure. In the menus you can set it up to flash at the start of the shutter opening, or at the end (front curtain sync or rear curtain sync). In the case of that photo you highlighted, the flash fired at the start, followed by the long exposure.

You can get some trippy effects if you take shots of people. This page explains it..

http://digital-photography-school.co...ow-sync-flash/

It also lets you to get shots like this..

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6404052

It allows you to get the windows and the flash lit cockpit balanced so that the outside doesn't overexpose and the inside doesn't under expose.

It's in most cameras, have a look in the manual...

Comment

True it could have worked with "front curtain" cdync. Perfect timing then.

Comment

Working...
              X