Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whatīs with the horizon?

Hi guys,

Would you take a look at my photo and tell me how the horizon could be so ... like a globe?? How do I ever get this level?

It sure wasnīt that way when I stood there and took the picture! Either my eyes deceive, the camera sees things that arenīt actually there or the lense somehow does something to the horizon ...

Please tell me what to do!

Greets,

Hinkelbein

It needs about 1 degree CW rotation. If you look at the poles ( OK, I know vertical poles are not accurate or even vertical all the time but bear with me ) they have a different angle of lean between those on the left and those on the right. The perceived horizon looks like it drops off to the left.

All this adds up to a visual perception of unlevel horizon. Give it 1 deg. CW and you'll see what I mean immediately.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks for the advice Brian, I will do that tomorrow. Now itīs time to go to bed and to think about my sins ...

Comment

It appears the photo was taken with a very wide angle setting selected. A wide angle lens can have that effect, curved horizon.
        Don
        Standard practice for managers around the world:
        Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Ok Hinkelbein,for what it is worth from someone who has had few horizon rejections since Moses was in short trousers .Brian is correct from what I see CW rotation for sure.
          What focal lens did you take the photo with(was it less than 50mm)if yes you will find that uprights at the left will lean left and the opposite applies to the right of the photo.I discovered this for the first time at an airshow in Greece in 2005.The solution is after croping to make sure the centre of the photo is vertically straight

Comment

The picture was actually taken with the Nikon Coolpix P6000 ... I donīt know what lens it has, but you may find it on Google. I have no extension on it, just the camera itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
              The picture was actually taken with the Nikon Coolpix P6000 ... I donīt know what lens it has, but you may find it on Google. I have no extension on it, just the camera itself.
              I have looked up the camera and it has a 6-24 mm lens which translates to a
              35 mm equivalent of 28-112 mm given the sensor used.I gather you may have used towards the lower zoom length but in any case the photo displays classic wide angle lens effect so correct as explained earlier(crop for dead space/centre,then get the centre of photo vertically correct and crop again for borders.

Comment

Thanks all for taking the trouble helping me.

Comment

Guys, I think I followed your advices but the pic was still rejected.
                  Whatīs wrong with it? It was rejected for bad horizon ...

Comment

Heey Hinkelbein ,

I got about the same ramp shots accepted by using the poles.
                    The use of a grid(2.5 or 5%) helps a lot

Comment

Originally posted by arjenp View Post
                      Heey Freek,

Freek????????
                      Does Hinkelbein have the same first name as I have, or did you have a rough night, yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
                        Freek????????
                        Does Hinkelbein have the same first name as I have, or did you have a rough night, yesterday?
                        I had a beer of 2, yes

Comment

Arjen,

I understood you called me Freek first?
                          (Will the real Freek please rise?)

On topic: you are probably referring to this picture of yours: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...414853&nseq=17

Which gave me a warm feeling, since the PH-KCI flew me to San Francisco on 24 november 2006 ...

How exactly did you straighten the horizon? I see not much diference with my rekjected picture, only the poles on mine look like they were "touched" by a hurricane ...

Comment

What makes the difference, is I think is the pole is the background(between A16 and A14).
                            You're right that there is not much of a difference between the poles.
                            This is how I level it.

Comment

Guys, these pics are hard to get level. The best thing to do in my opinion is to level the pic until it looks right to your eyes. Then wait for an hour, open the pic again and trust your first impression. From my experience as a screener I know that the first impression is very important for the final decision reject or accept.

If you leveled the picture using a specific line in the picture, leave a note to the screeners what you did and why.

Roel.

Comment

Working...
                              X