Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40D vs 50D

Hey All,
    So, I currently have the Canon EOS 20D, and its getting a bit old. I'm going to upgrade to the 40D or 50D, but I'm still not sure which one. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

As far as I have heard, there is no much advantage in getting the 50D over the 40D. But I guess, you get a better deal with the 40D.

I currently have the 40D and the 20D. When the 50D came out, I decided to keep my combo, instead of switching the 20D for the 50D. Not worth the extra money. Better spend less on the camera and save for a new lens.

Gerardo
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Just remember, the newer the model, the more likely there will be firmware updates and service options available. I have the 40D and I love it, but if I were shopping for a camera now, I'd go with the latest product available for simply those reasons.

Comment

Basically, other than a better screen and more megapixels, there isnt really much point on getting the 50D especially when the 40D is so much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsetkiwi View Post
          Basically, other than a better screen and more mega pixels, there isn't really much point on getting the 50D especially when the 40D is so much cheaper.
          Not true. the new noise reduction sensor makes all the difference and makes up for the price. I mean to give you an idea with the 50D you can shoot at about 1600 ISO and it would look (on a slightly older camera) like you were shooting at 400 sometimes even 200 ISO. It is slightly slower than the 40D but the live view and 15.1 MPX makes up for it.

Comment

was in a similar boat and went for the 40D. don't regret it. the most noticable difference i could see were better screen and higher resolution, which in my opinion didn't justify the price, i'd rather spend that on glass. Noise isnt too bad on the 40D. the 50D's noise handling is much better with JPEG, but i dont use it myself. apart from that it's similar to the 40D. of course the 50D has the added benefit that it has 5Mpix more so when you resize it will be less noticable. but again, it didnt justify the huge price gap to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Code20photog View Post
              Just remember, the newer the model, the more likely there will be firmware updates and service options available. I have the 40D and I love it, but if I were shopping for a camera now, I'd go with the latest product available for simply those reasons.
              Now that you mention: has there ever been a firmware update for the 40D?

Gerardo
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

there definitely has. the latest if im not mistaken is 1.1.1 and was only released like 3 months ago (50D was already out)... here you go http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos...irmware-e.html

Comment

Pah what are these toy 40D/50D's you speak about........ Get a 5Dmkii!!! lol!

Being serious now, if i was in your boat i'd go for the 40D in a heartbeat. It's been proven by several leading photographers that the 40D is actually BETTER at higher ISO's and produces a cleaner file than what the 50D does. The sensor on the 40D seems to handle it's pixels much better than what the 50D does. I'm not saying thr 50D is a bad camera at all, but for the saving in money i would go for the 40D.

Chris
                  Chris Sharps
                  5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                  17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                  24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                  1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Originally posted by scermat View Post
                    there definitely has. the latest if im not mistaken is 1.1.1 and was only released like 3 months ago (50D was already out)... here you go http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos...irmware-e.html

Quite correct...the 40D has had quite a few updates in it's lifetime. I've upgraded to the latest. Not sure exactly what the improvements are as I can't tell any differences.

Comment

the biggest improvement i read about was that it solves a compatability issue with the 85L where youd have to restart the cam after 5-10 shots.

Comment

Originally posted by chris78cpr View Post
                        Pah what are these toy 40D/50D's you speak about........ Get a 5Dmkii!!! lol!

Being serious now, if i was in your boat i'd go for the 40D in a heartbeat. It's been proven by several leading photographers that the 40D is actually BETTER at higher ISO's and produces a cleaner file than what the 50D does. The sensor on the 40D seems to handle it's pixels much better than what the 50D does. I'm not saying thr 50D is a bad camera at all, but for the saving in money i would go for the 40D.

Chris
                        In addition if you check out DP Review on the 50D you will see that they concluded that image quality on the 40D was better to the point that a 40D image blown up to 15MP was similar in quality to a 15MP image from the 50D !!! Thats not a great argument for spending the extra on a 50D. Perhaps you should grab a 40D while you can still get them.

" there is many a true word spoken in jest", as per the first line of the above quote!

Comment

Working...
                        X