Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force One / Photo Op / Panic

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/st...7439287&page=1

They say that during this flyover, whole buildings were evacuated, even though notification was given a week earlier.

Just reporting the news...don't shoot the messenger...
    T

I just read it on MSNBC. Totally lame on behalf of the people running for cover.

Sure, 9/11 was terrible, but just because you see an airplane doesn't mean you're gonna die. Planes fly close to that city daily, just because it's big and has fighter jets doesn't mean it's going to explode.

I've read multiple threads from people in NYC on other messaging boards about they hear fighters and want to know what's going on because it scares them, when it just turns out to be a flyover for a baseball game.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
      I just read it on MSNBC. Totally lame on behalf of the people running for cover.

Sure, 9/11 was terrible, but just because you see an airplane doesn't mean you're gonna die. Planes fly close to that city daily, just because it's big and has fighter jets doesn't mean it's going to explode.

I've read multiple threads from people in NYC on other messaging boards about they hear fighters and want to know what's going on because it scares them, when it just turns out to be a flyover for a baseball game.
      Are you flipping kidding me? Lame? Tanner a 747 flying low over lower Manhattan with two F16s chasing it is not a daily occurrence... based on the pictures that have been released it was not very clear to people on the ground it was AF1. I saw one picture and it looked just like one of the pictures from 9/11. A 747 and a couple F16s buzzing around at that altitude is rather loud and if you just see glimpses of the planes between buildings it's easy to not know what is going on.

This was poor planning on the DOD's part for keeping it quiet. They should have released it to the media an hour or two before so people would have had a clue. Btw when this was taking place and no one had an idea the stock market sank.

Comment

And that is the major issue...

The release was done a week earlier, but the distribution and dissemination of this information was non-existent. Shame on those who held the info so close, and the real investigation here should be why the system failed. If I remember correctly, there were some politicians who campaigned on the failures leading up to 9/11, vowing that information would be broadcast, but here was a test...they failed. Time to go back to the drawing board I guess...

Comment

An update

Here is a list of who the FAA says were notified:
          - NYC mayor’s office
          - NYC 911 and 311 operation centers
          - NYC Police Department
          - New Jersey State Police
          - United States Park Police
          - other agencies

By the way, at least this thread does not have the level of silliness that 'the other site' has in a related thread...The speculation of that thread is way past the insane level!!!

Comment

That's why I don't read Airliners unless I want a laugh. For every thread it's 100 people saying the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!

It could be a thread about the registration of a plane and 500 people will post the registration even after the first person to reply did it!
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tanner_j View Post
              that's why i don't read airliners unless i want a laugh. For every thread it's 100 people saying the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!

It could be a thread about the registration of a plane and 500 people will post the registration even after the first person to reply did it!
              so true !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by twagenknecht View Post
                Here is a list of who the FAA says were notified:
                - NYC mayor’s office
                - NYC 911 and 311 operation centers
                - NYC Police Department
                - New Jersey State Police
                - United States Park Police
                - other agencies

By the way, at least this thread does not have the level of silliness that 'the other site' has in a related thread...The speculation of that thread is way past the insane level!!!
                The Mayor's office might have been notified but no one ever told the Mayor...he was pissed off big time yesterday.

You know this would have been a nice thing for the public to see. I think most Americans would have enjoyed seeing the plane that fly's their President around and represents the U.S visit NYC in the manner that it did.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
                  The Mayor's office might have been notified but no one ever told the Mayor...he was pissed off big time yesterday.

You know this would have been a nice thing for the public to see. I think most Americans would have enjoyed seeing the plane that fly's their President around and represents the U.S visit NYC in the manner that it did.
                  I agree that this would have been a nice public appreciation day for AF1, especially given the new president's approval rating. But, given the stories out there, apparently, and this is not really confirmed, just reported, the FAA told those who were notified NOT to give the information out...we live in a very strange world.

Comment

Hahaha! This story has just brightened up my day!

To be honest, I think the only reason this has made as big a story as it has done is because the New Yorkers feel a little, lets say, stupid after panicking so much over something so silly! "OMG it's a terrorist attack I just know it" I've just heard on a video clip on the news. Probably a case of "Make out it's insensitive and turn it into a political issue, so it doesn't make us look so dumb".

Would have loved to have been there to take some pics though

Comment

On a lighter note - I bet those shots were good!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
                        That's why I don't read Airliners unless I want a laugh. For every thread it's 100 people saying the same damn thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!

I thought he was referring to the airdisaster.info/forums thread.
                        Proudly serving WTF comments since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf View Post
                          Tommy I'm in total agreement with that.
                          What I'm surprised is the NYC officials that knew this but did not think it was going to scare some people.They are usually the ones causing "alarm".
                          I understand the order to keep quite, but why , it was an empty plane. Presidential trip,well publicised, empty plane ,national security secret.
                          And then there is Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by twagenknecht View Post
                            But, given the stories out there, apparently, and this is not really confirmed, just reported, the FAA told those who were notified NOT to give the information out...we live in a very strange world.
                            which made no sense, the President wasn't on the plane so why keep it secret? Especially if the pictures are for PR, you would want people to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun View Post
                              which made no sense, the President wasn't on the plane so why keep it secret? Especially if the pictures are for PR, you would want people to know...
                              There are too many people out there like us, who though even stuck on the ground, might get a better shot of the plane than the official photographers!! Just kidding, I am sure that the pictures are spectacular...I hope we get to see them someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X