What a dissapointment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a dissapointment!

I had really looked forward to my first and definetly last visit to Frankfurt Airport.

It was as if I was actually going to fly!

We were not allowed to take drinks to the platform. No liquids. Okay, so we drank out the bottles of diet coke and flushed the water through the toilets in order to be allowed to enter the platform.
    Oh right, I forgot. You have to pay (!) for entrance to the platform.

It was 35 degrees Celsius, if not more. There was no shadow. The sun was right in front of me. It seemed more like El Alamein or Tobruk than Frankfurt.
    Due to the sun it was almost impossible to get decent shots. I managed to get some, and will upload them of course.

I must conclude that Amsterdam and Düsseldorf are way more friendly to the public.

I don't know FRA at all, so pardon my question: can you at least buy some beverages on the platform? If so, I assume at insane prices, right?
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
      I don't know FRA at all, so pardon my question: can you at least buy some beverages on the platform? If so, I assume at insane prices, right?
      Well, you can buy small bottles of coke, fanta etc. on the platform from a machine for the insane price of 2,50 euro, including 15 cents deposit.

Comment

I am sorry to say Hinkelbein, but if you made yor homework better, you could have known that the terrace in Frankfurt is facing the sun all day long.
        It's mentioned on almost every Fraport-website on the web

For the rest it's a new to me, that drinks are not allowed up there, as I've always brouht my food and beverages without facing troubles at security.
        I've to admit that my last visit on the terrace was in 2003, as there are far better spots along the runways.

However, I hope you had the chance to take at least a few nice shots.

Freek

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
          I am sorry to say Hinkelbein, but if you made yor homework better, you could have known that the terrace in Frankfurt is facing the sun all day long.
          It's mentioned on almost every Fraport-website on the web

For the rest it's a new to me, that drinks are not allowed up there, as I've always brouht my food and beverages without facing troubles at security.
          I've to admit that my last visit on the terrace was in 2003, as there are far better spots along the runways.

However, I hope you had the chance to take at least a few nice shots.

Freek
          Hi Freek,

I guess I should have read it earlier. I made some decent pics though, because if the planes made turns, their sides would be in the sun and that gave some nice pics. Of course, not all planes made turns

Comment

Well Mr.Hinkelbein, as we say in Gouda too, SHIT hapens sometimes!

Greets,
            PlaneCatcher

Comment

To cheer you up a bit, consider this for the winter: Innsbruck and/or Salzburg.

Both have excellent viewing terraces.

There are cheap direct flights from the Netherlands to INN and INN can be done all by feet. You can walk around the whole airport.

When the weather sucks, no problem, you just go for some night photography at either airport. Bring your tripod.

You won't be dissapointed.

Roel.

Comment

As a Dutchman, who lived in Gouda in a previous life, and as somebody who had an excellent day at FRA yesterday (at a viewing platform), I offe you my condolences.

Next time, you're here: Drop me a line. Perhaps I can make it to FRA and show you around in dutch!
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

Thanks Arnie, I'll bear it in mind.
                  Btw, I live in Gouda

I am curious about the Frankfurt spotting locations. I see beautiful pictures in the db from FRA.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                    Thanks Arnie, I'll bear it in mind.
                    Btw, I live in Gouda

I am curious about the Frankfurt spotting locations. I see beautiful pictures in the db from FRA.
                    I know. That's why I mentioned Gouda...

This overview was taken last Sunday. The picture was taken at 10 mm. You're all set with a 70-200 Lens for the planes though. I am now busily processing the pictures. You can easily manage 100-200 pictures a day for jp when you're a decent photographer/editor.

Comment

Oh well. At least Frankfurt has a place where people can watch planes from. Here in the US, there aren't any airports left that even HAVE observation areas any more due to paranoid level of security currently in place.

Comment

BTW. the picture was taken on Spot #1 on http://nuespotter.free.fr/index.php?src=spotp/fra/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mjkerpan View Post
                          Oh well. At least Frankfurt has a place where people can watch planes from. Here in the US, there aren't any airports left that even HAVE observation areas any more due to paranoid level of security currently in place.
                          Yes, I hear that often. Sad thing.
                          Seems like you have to be lucky to find a good place to take pictures.

I was extremely lucky to be able to photograph out of the hotel window at KLAX where planes landed literally in front of me.
                          When I was at KLAS I had an excellent spot along the paralel East Sunset Road, though I was (again) extremely lucky that that runway was in use.
                          I could sit or stand in the shade and take pictures. No police officer bothering me, though I am sure some must have seen me.

The best platforms are at Schiphol (Amsterdam) and Düsseldorf, but I only visited few airports.

Comment

Frankfurt

I was there on the 13th of August 2009.

I must admit that day was sunny and a bit humid so it was hot out on the deck, so shade would have been nice. I even got sunburnt there.

Also with the sun not setting until 2030 - 2100 at night why does the deck close so early 1700 even in summer. Thankfully once it closed I was able to grab a chair by the window until it was time to fly back to Manchester.

My Stuff on The Web

http://www.ryanhothersall.net/

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                              I even got sunburnt there.
                              Lol, so did I!
                              You see, sometimes spotting planes is bad for my good skin

Comment

Working...
                              X