Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Camera Colour Filter

Hi all,

A few of my original images have turned out very bizzare coloured and I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly this set of values does and how it affects images when adjusted?
    Thanks
    Ryan

Originally posted by taylor.ryan View Post
    Hi all,

A few of my original images have turned out very bizzare coloured and I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly this set of values does and how it affects images when adjusted?
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Hi Ryan... I can't explain exactly because I don't know your camera, but, if I read you correctly, you're talking about your camera processing your images with colour filters.

Essentially, the effect is as if you're looking at your image through a coloured piece of glass so, if I do read you correctly, your images will have a colour cast depending upon which filter you had set for which image.

One common use, for example, is to use a sepia filter (brownish) for photographs of old things because over time B&W prints eventually bleach out on the white side of the grey scale and turn sepia on the black side.

Another use would be to adjust for White Balance, whereby, for example, you would use a blue filter for tungsten lighting (which burns yellow) because blue is the complementary (opposite) colour to yellow in the spectrum.

Two things come to mind:

1. are you sure you don't still have the unfiltered original? (e.g. has the processing produced a different version of the original)

2. if you have to work from an original with a cast, then your images won't necessarily be unusable but you probably will have to spend time working them if you want to reverse the filtering.

If that is what you want to do, then it will depend strongly on tonal and colour contrasts within each image, the colour of the filter and the aperture you were using amongst other things, and you may not be able to arrive at anything with enough quality even then.

Hope this helps, but perhaps you could post up one or two examples?

Paul
    Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-10-23, 15:12.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Hard to answer without an example and without knowing the type of camera.

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for your responses' I have attached an original image that has being resized levelled, cropped and exposure boosted slightly.

Just to clarify I'm using a Sony A350 DSLR and the colour filter is a set of values running from M9 to 0 to G9.

Alot of my images look as if they've being shot through blue/green ish glass.

Thanks for any upcoming and previous help.
        Ryan

Comment

Not familiar with the Sony, but does it have a feature that allows you to set a custom white balance? Perhaps something like that got mistakenly changed, and it's causing a color cast.
          KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

Gents,

Thanks for your responses' I have attached an original image that has being resized levelled, cropped and exposure boosted slightly.

Just to clarify I'm using a Sony A350 DSLR and the colour filter is a set of values running from M9 to 0 to G9.

Alot of my images look as if they've being shot through blue/green ish glass.

Thanks for any upcoming and previous help.
            Ryan
            You're welcome Ryan.

From what you say here, I'd suggest turning to your camera manual which should tell you exactly what these settings do (do the settings also go through Y9 to B9 and C9 to R9?).

If you don't have a manual or it isn't in there, check the manufacturer's website.

As far as the image you've uploaded is concerned, it doesn't look like you will have too many problems adjusting it but I'm not a screener so I wouldn't presume to suggest that you'll have it accepted.

Assuming you're using Photoshop, and here's where the names might differ across different versions / releases etc., use the "Adjust Colour" / "Remove Colour Cast" etc. facilities to get the whites white and re-appraise the colour balance once you've done that. It may well be OK by just adjusting the white balance like this.

If not, here's the fundamentals that you can use as a starting place for tweaking / manual adjustments:

Red adjusted by Cyan and vice versa
            Green adjusted by Magenta an vice versa
            Blue adjusted by Yellow and vice versa

That's why I think you might have settings for R9 to C9 and B9 to Y9 also.

Paul
            Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-10-23, 18:55.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Check your White Balance settings. Are they on Auto or do you adjust them depending on the light you are shooting in?
              E-Mail Me - My Photo's - My Photographer Profile

Comment

Not familiar with the Sony, but does it have a feature that allows you to set a custom white balance? Perhaps something like that got mistakenly changed, and it's causing a color cast.
                I shall investigate that my camera does have a custom white balance option I've never used it though. Thanks for advising such a move.

From what you say here, I'd suggest turning to your camera manual which should tell you exactly what these settings do (do the settings also go through Y9 to B9 and C9 to R9?).
                I have checked the camera and It goes from M to G only. Do the Y,B,C,R,M,G letters stand for the related colour pigment in light?

use the "Adjust Colour" / "Remove Colour Cast" etc
                Are there any special ways of using these options? Because I find if an image is blueish or greenish these modules seem to get rid of the original cast and induce a cast of a different colour.

Check your White Balance settings. Are they on Auto or do you adjust them depending on the light you are shooting in?
                I just leave WB on auto all the time.

Once again thank-you all for assiting me with this.
                Ryan

Comment

I have checked the camera and It goes from M to G only. Do the Y,B,C,R,M,G letters stand for the related colour pigment in light?
                  The 3 primary colours: Red, Green, Blue (RGB)
                  The 3 secondary colours: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow (CMY)

Written in that order they also reflect that R and C, G and M, B and Y are complementary colours - they're directly opposite each other in the spectrum.

Hence, as noted previously, in each pairing the one colour adjusts the other and vice versa... if you reduce Magenta you will get more Green, if you reduce Yellow you get more Blue etc. etc.

If purely adjusting WB in PS isn't working, try Adjust Hue / Saturation which, certainly on my version, you can either do as MASTER or by choosing only one of the 6 colours to adjust. The parameters are self-explanatory and you can also use it in preview mode which shows you the effect as you change the parameters.

You do need to find out from the manufacturer though, what the settings on your camera do, either from your manual or their website unless someone else has the same type of camera and knows.

Paul
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-10-23, 19:27.

Comment

Paul,

That is extremely helpful so thank-you for taking the time to explain colour and I think understand alot more about how colour is recorded and how it affects digital photos.

I am going to do some research into what exactly my camera is doing with it's settings and then using that put it into practice on the field. I've had my camera a year and never realy learn't how to use the colour settings .

Thanks again to everyone.

To many white aeroplanes showing as a white aeroplanes.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                    X