Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70-200 f2.8 LIS and 1.4x combo Vrs 100-400 L IS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 70-200 f2.8 LIS and 1.4x combo Vrs 100-400 L IS

    Been reading alot of the posts around this saga.

    However, this 70-200 f2.8 LIS and 1.4x combo requires a full frame body, to support the Auto Focus? So with the 50, and 40D, it is not an option, unless you want to manual focus?

    Am I right or mistaken?

    Cheers

    Graham

  • #2
    Originally posted by greekspy2001 View Post
    However, this 70-200 f2.8 LIS and 1.4x combo requires a full frame body, to support the Auto Focus?
    I think fellow screener James Rowson uses that combination of lens and TC on a non-full frame body without any problems whatsoever so it should be absolutely fine. James, you around to maybe comment?
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

    My images on Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, I am not James, but I have the f/4 70-200 with a 1,4 TC and the Autofocus still works well on my 40D.

      So,with the f/2,8 it would work even better I think

      Freek

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by greekspy2001 View Post
        Been reading alot of the posts around this saga.

        However, this 70-200 f2.8 LIS and 1.4x combo requires a full frame body, to support the Auto Focus? So with the 50, and 40D, it is not an option, unless you want to manual focus?

        Am I right or mistaken?

        Cheers

        Graham
        All Canon bodies can autofocus when lens has f/5.6 aperture or greater. 1-series bodies, full frame or not can autofocus lenses with aperture of f/8 or greater.

        2.8 with 1.4x TC becomes f/4 so there will be no problem at all. f/4 glass + 1.4x TC works just fine too on all Canon bodies.
        http://ovp.fi

        Comment


        • #5
          OK maybe I misunderstood

          I have a 40D with the 100-400mm f4.5/f5.6. So with the 100-400 that would take it beyond f5.6 so you won't get autofocus? would need the full frame type like the 1 series as that does autofocus at f8.

          Right this time?

          Thanks
          Last edited by greekspy2001; 2010-02-16, 16:41.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by greekspy2001 View Post
            OK maybe I misunderstood

            I have a 40D with the 100-400mm f4.5/f5.6. So with the 100-400 that would take it beyond f5.6 so you won't get autofocus? would need the full frame type like the 1 series as that does autofocus at f8.

            Right this time?

            Thanks
            Yep, f/5.6 glass with 1.4x becomes f/8 glass, so you would need the 1-series body for autofocus to work.
            http://ovp.fi

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PMN View Post
              I think fellow screener James Rowson uses that combination of lens and TC on a non-full frame body without any problems whatsoever so it should be absolutely fine. James, you around to maybe comment?

              I do indeed use this combo on a 40d with no problems whatsoever. It works perfectly well. I do sometimes miss the absolute reach of the 100-400 but the quality of the 70-200 combo outweighs this disadvantage.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hopefully I understand now

                thanks

                Graham

                Comment


                • #9
                  I also use that combo and find it to produce stunning results on both full frame and crop sensors! I also have the 100-400 aswell as i find that this lens offers reach and crops that the 70-200 just can't get!
                  Chris Sharps
                  5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                  17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                  24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                  1.4x | 550EX x2

                  Fuji X100

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As mentioned above, all Canon bodies support AF if the lens has a minimum of f/5.6. Only exception to this are the D1 bodies, which support AF until a minimum of f/8.

                    On a EOS 40D, 50D, 7D, etc this means, that you can use the 70-200 f/2.8 with a 2x TC, the 70-200 f/4 with a 1.4x TC and you still have full AF. Then there are those tricks with taping some pins and you still have AF on other combos. But I never tried it and can't comment if this works or not.

                    Cheerio
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X