No announcement yet.

CoreMicro memory card vs Transcent 8GB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoreMicro memory card vs Transcent 8GB?

I am searching for a decent memory card, pretty cheap as well. These two brands aren't as good as Kingston perhaps but they look good, as they are 8GB, and class 6. Is it better to get the Transcend 8GB card, the CoreMicro 8GB, or the CoreMicro 16GB? Thanks!

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....2109&N=4008745 4294965756&Mo=3&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C
    Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Don't even worry about it. I've been using the cheapest cards I can find since I started using digital cameras and I've never, ever had a problem. Get a card with decent capacity and one you can afford, shove it in your camera, go take some photos and stop worrying about 'this bit of gear vs that bit of gear'. It's not important, just go shoot.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
      Don't even worry about it. I've been using the cheapest cards I can find since I started using digital cameras and I've never, ever had a problem. Get a card with decent capacity and one you can afford, shove it in your camera, go take some photos and stop worrying about 'this bit of gear vs that bit of gear'. It's not important, just go shoot.
      Ok thanks! I ended up buying the cheaper one, with my XS I can take around 1600-1900 pictures, enough for the summer in FRA and WAW, if something i'll put pics on a USB. I am returning my SLR because we need some $$$ for Europe, but at the end of summer, i'll be getting a better SLR, 450D, 500D or possible a 550D! Cheers!
      Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

I suggest you buy two smaller cards, that way if a card decides to play silly games you still have some photos left.

Comment

You're right, Ryan, but the chances of a solid state memory card going tits up are extremely slim. Microdrives can be sensitive and temperamental beasts but standard flash memory is usually very, very stable. I've used an 8 gig card for a few years without the slightest worry and I'd use a 16 gig card without hesitation; my camera is more likely to break than my memory card.
          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I've seen first hand cards of all brands and sizes corrupt/fail and lose data.

I have a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB CF which has given me nothing but problems and often has read problems.

I have about 10 other Sandisk Extreme III cards which perform faultlessly. I also use a 16GB Kingston 133x CF card which i have had nothing but good experience with, however a fellow screener has the same card, bought from the same place, the same week as mine and his keeps error'ing and corrupting.

I would still always buy the most expensive card i can afford purely for the speed rating, if im shooting a burst of RAW i don't want my camera freexing up while the buffer is full.
            Chris Sharps
            5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
            17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
            24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
            1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

I have been using a Transcend 16gb card for a couple of years now, never had a problem with it. And recently bought a SanDisk 16gb card, don't expect any problems either.

Comment

I would also go with a number of smaller cards, compared to one big card. I am still using 1GB and 2 GB cards. (the wife uses 256MB/512Mb/1GB on the D200)

I had a SanDisk Ultra fail during my holidays. As it was only a 256MB card, I lost photos from 3 days and not the whole holiday.

Comment

Working...
                X