Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon Releases 60D, 4 lenses, and 2 entenders!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Although the 70-300L sounds good its lame. Why the hell don't they upgrade the 100-400?

    About the 60D. its been getting quite a lot of abuses on every photography forum. I'd rather buy a refurbished 40D.

    Yash

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by yash777 View Post
      Although the 70-300L sounds good its lame. Why the hell don't they upgrade the 100-400?

      About the 60D. its been getting quite a lot of abuses on every photography forum. I'd rather buy a refurbished 40D.

      Yash
      I rather agree with you, Yashi. I have the 300 2.8 II and love it. But for the new one, I cannot see, or justify spending another 3000+ on its replacement. I also with that the mainstay of the aviation community (100-400...bloody sodding vacuum cleaner that it is) gets a well needed update.

      Yet another Ho-Hum announcement from Canon.

      Oh, Paul...do not jump ship yet mate...Canon still has more in the works to try and keep you around

      Comment


      • #18
        I would say that the 70-300L seems a bad joke. I wonder what it has what the Nikon AF-S 70-300VR has not.

        But I would not run for Nikon either. The Nikon users are equally unsure what will happen there.

        The D300 replacement is far from certain and there might only be a D7000 which would be a 16MP cross between a D90 and a D300. Only good thing is that rumors say that it will use a metal frame for the body. I personally think both companies will reserve the semi-pro and pro bodies for full frame sensors in the future. They can seel them for more money and people need longer lenses as well, which also means more money for the companies.
        My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
        My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
        ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

        Comment


        • #19
          Ohhhh the bitching has started already lol. All Canon have done is re-align the ranges. They can't make the 60D any higher spec'd as it'll eat into 7D sales. If you read into things and the reviews that have been put into the 60D, the line is being pulled from semi-pro down to high end enthusiast. It's now a turbo-rebel range in the words of Dpreview. Everyone was expecting the 7D to be the replacement after the 50D anyways. To me, the 7D is the replacement/upgrade for the 50D, and now that the 60D has been announced I know where my next upgrade lies, and that will be the 7D or 7D mk2 if that's around when I need to change my body. For now my 3yr old 40D is doing a sterling job and I don't really have a need to replace it yet.

          Now if Canon will come up with a 7D with the new flippy out articulating screen and live autofocus in movie mode then i'm a definate purchaser!

          Oh and ps.....the price of the 60D will drop. It's historical. The price of Canon bodies has always dropped a couple of month after introduction.
          Last edited by B7772ADL; 2010-08-27, 17:09.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
            Ohhhh the bitching has started already lol. All Canon have done is re-align the ranges.
            Yes, they've re-aligned the ranges, and in the process hacked off those who are very happy with the 30D/40D and are looking for a new body. Nothing anyone can say will convince me this is anything other than an extremely stupid, ill-thought out move by Canon.
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

            My images on Flickr

            Comment


            • #21
              James,

              I think the point is that you used to be able to get a good digital SLR for 800 or so. As a result of the new strategy you have to pay half as much again. yes the price of the 60D will drop but the point is that it is not an equivalent camera. Effectively they are trying to use clever marketing to hike their pricing. Nothing wrong with that IF you can get away with it.


              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by cja View Post
                I think the point is that you used to be able to get a good digital SLR for 800 or so.
                You still can if you go to Nikon, which is precisely my point! You've described why I think it's a stupid move perfectly.
                Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

                My images on Flickr

                Comment


                • #23
                  I knew this day will come...as everyone has said, end of a line. I started digital photography with the 20D and upgraded to the 50D which I have been pleased with so far as I never cared for video capability, My main gripes about the 20D were the dust problems and small LCD screen. Both of these issues were taken care of with the 40D/50D so for now I have no need to upgrade. I certainly cannot switch brands easily as owning a 600 f4 is like a marriage. I have a lot more tied up in other pieces of L glass so I will use what I have until......!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Richard M. A. Wood View Post
                    I knew this day will come...as everyone has said, end of a line. I started digital photography with the 20D and upgraded to the 50D which I have been pleased with so far as I never cared for video capability, My main gripes about the 20D were the dust problems and small LCD screen. Both of these issues were taken care of with the 40D/50D so for now I have no need to upgrade. I certainly cannot switch brands easily as owning a 600 f4 is like a marriage. I have a lot more tied up in other pieces of L glass so I will use what I have until......!
                    Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Bodies come and go, but glass last a very long time. Now then, when can I get that 800mm???

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Richard M. A. Wood View Post
                      I certainly cannot switch brands easily as owning a 600 f4 is like a marriage.
                      Would disagree with that analogy Richard.One can be still very happy with life and a 600f4 ....but being married

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Look at the MTF chart of that new 400 2.8!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by CRBM666 View Post
                          Look at the MTF chart of that new 400 2.8!
                          Inspires me to do credit card fraud.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Lol, you lot certainly don't seem happy. Well I wish you all the best with your move to Nikon and having to re-invest your time and money into establishing a new glass collection on the N side. In the meantime i'll get on taking pics with my Canon gear which aint broke and doesn't need fixing, so why would i want another XXd body? Surely a move from a 40/50D to a 60D is just that. The logical upgrade is the 7D.
                            If canon had taken a 50D and put 7D technology in it, it would be ummmmm a 7D. So they had to re-align the ranges so that they don't loose sales to the 7D. The 60D will come down in price and it will fall in line. It will be a good camera and just cos it's plastic doesn't make it crap. They could have just cancelled the line completely.
                            I guess i'll see you all out at the airport with your shiney new 60d's when you've all calmed down

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              And the Nikon side is not a happier place either. If you read about the rumored D7000 than you see that Nikon seems to go down a similar path.
                              My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                              My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                              ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
                                Lol, you lot certainly don't seem happy. Well I wish you all the best with your move to Nikon and having to re-invest your time and money into establishing a new glass collection on the N side. In the meantime i'll get on taking pics with my Canon gear which aint broke and doesn't need fixing, so why would i want another XXd body? Surely a move from a 40/50D to a 60D is just that. The logical upgrade is the 7D.
                                If canon had taken a 50D and put 7D technology in it, it would be ummmmm a 7D. So they had to re-align the ranges so that they don't loose sales to the 7D. The 60D will come down in price and it will fall in line. It will be a good camera and just cos it's plastic doesn't make it crap. They could have just cancelled the line completely.
                                I guess i'll see you all out at the airport with your shiney new 60d's when you've all calmed down
                                You clearly haven't been in a position of renewing your body recently; I have, so we're seeing this somewhat differently.
                                Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

                                My images on Flickr

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X