Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon Releases 60D, 4 lenses, and 2 entenders!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #2
    60D = They forgot an 0. It's a 600D pretty much, and a crap one at that!

    Lenses look great but vastly overpriced! As are the convertors! Grab your cheap L's while you can, Canon's going all expensive on all it's new stuff
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

    Fuji X100

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by chris78cpr View Post
      60D = They forgot an 0. It's a 600D pretty much, and a crap one at that!
      Couldn't agree more, Chris! A BIG step backwards for Canon in my opinion.
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

      My images on Flickr

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PMN View Post
        Couldn't agree more, Chris! A BIG step backwards for Canon in my opinion.
        I think your right, but at the same time they will sell the 60D well, because of the poping out screen, 18MP (which I thought wouldnt be, cause 7D and 550D already have that), and some other features. Hopefully older cameras like 50D will go cheaper now.
        Originally posted by chris78cpr View Post
        60D = They forgot an 0. It's a 600D pretty much, and a crap one at that!

        Lenses look great but vastly overpriced! As are the convertors! Grab your cheap L's while you can, Canon's going all expensive on all it's new stuff
        I agree, the lenses and converters look great! The 100-300L lens looks fantastic! Small, USM, IS and light, but it will most likely be priced 1000$ over. So, I guess it is a good time to go get those 70-200 F4L USM lenses before they're gone!
        Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by C-FITL View Post
          I think your right, but at the same time they will sell the 60D well, because of the poping out screen, 18MP (which I thought wouldnt be, cause 7D and 550D already have that), and some other features
          I'm not so sure about that, I suspect this move will piss off a LOT of people. The whole point of the XXD line of cameras is that they're slightly bigger and more robust than the XXXD line, and in making the 60D smaller and changing to a plastic body they're blurring the line between the two groups. I don't think the vast majority of shooters who've owned cameras like the 30D or 40D for any length of time will be swayed by a poxy articulated screen or a few more pixels!

          I thought the 50D was an utterly pointless and stupid move from the 40D, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I may be going Nikon next time!
          Last edited by PMN; 2010-08-26, 20:12.
          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

          My images on Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PMN View Post
            I'm not so sure about that, I suspect this move will piss off a LOT of people. The whole point of the XXD line of cameras is that they're slightly bigger and more robust than the XXXD line, and in making the 60D smaller and changing to a plastic body they're blurring the line between the two groups. I don't think the vast majority of shooters who've owned cameras like the 30D or 40D for any length of time will be swayed by a poxy articulated screen or a few more pixels!

            I thought the 50D was an utterly pointless and stupid move from the 40D, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I may be going Nikon next time!
            I was looking at pictures and reading at dpreview, and this camera looks cheap. The screen looks plastic and very cheap, breakable. No buttons onn the left side, it's smaller than a 50D, and just looks plain wrong. I wouldnt get it. But that 70-300 really interests me, and the price!
            Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by C-FITL View Post
              But that 70-300 really interests me, and the price!
              At 1599 here in the UK I think I'll be sticking to my proven and trusted 70-200L f/4. The difference between 200mm and 300mm simply isn't enough to justify the monumental difference in price. Mine doesn't have IS but hey, I've never needed it!
              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

              My images on Flickr

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PMN View Post
                At 1599 here in the UK I think I'll be sticking to my proven and trusted 70-200L f/4. The difference between 200mm and 300mm simply isn't enough to justify the monumental difference in price. Mine doesn't have IS but hey, I've never needed it!
                So you also have the USM one! I am going for that one soon! Now its on sale.
                Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by C-FITL View Post
                  So you also have the USM one! I am going for that one soon! Now its on sale.
                  All Canon L series lenses are USM, Jan!
                  Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

                  My images on Flickr

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The 60D represents a change in emphasis so that the semi-pro range now starts with the 7D and therefore the XXD range no longer fulfills that function. So if you are a 20D owner like me looking to upgrade the choice is either a 7D or 5D MarkII. I must admit that I nearly went straight for the credit card when I learned about the 60D but fortunately I read the review first. So now I am still trying to decide between 5D and 7D. Then again I might just look again at the price of Nikon Kit, sell my 28-300L and move over to the dark side!


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cja View Post
                      The 60D represents a change in emphasis so that the semi-pro range now starts with the 7D and therefore the XXD range no longer fulfills that function.
                      It doesn't fulfil that function anymore because Canon have decided it doesn't, which wasn't at all in any way necessary. They've essentially left the photographer wanting a slightly more substantial body with no choice but to spend more, which is a bit of a shitty trick on Canon's part in my opinion. As someone who's always enjoyed shooting with Canon gear I'm really starting to dislike them as a company. Nikon have seemed infinitely more sensible in the development of their bodies in recent years!
                      Last edited by PMN; 2010-08-26, 21:42.
                      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

                      My images on Flickr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PMN View Post
                        It doesn't fulfil that function anymore because Canon have decided it doesn't, which wasn't at all in any way necessary. They've essentially left the photographer wanting a slightly more substantial body with no choice but to spend more, which is a bit of a shitty trick on Canon's part in my opinion. As someone who's always enjoyed shooting with Canon gear I'm really starting to dislike them as a company. Nikon have seemed infinitely more sensible in the development of their bodies in recent years!
                        To be fair to Canon, I think a lot of the price inflation is down to the exchange rate against the US dollar and Japanese yen. But you are right to point out the change. The 20D 40D and 50D were all less than 1000 when they were introduced and the 7D started out at 1200 plus. So yes it does look like a play with the numbers to mask a big price hike. Then again the 7D with its video capability was a step change in capability (but from my perspective I don't want video thanks).
                        Last edited by cja; 2010-08-26, 21:51.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cja View Post
                          To be fair to Canon, I think a lot of the price inflation is down to the exchange rate against the US dollar and Japanese yen. But you are right to point out the change. The 20D 40D and 50D were all less than 1000 when they were introduced and the 7D started out at 1200 plus. So yes it does look like a play with the numbers and mask a big price hike.
                          Yep indeed. I'm not really questioning the price of the 7D or 5DII because they're high-spec cameras and I think the price for them is reasonably fair, I'm more questioning the way they seem to be messing with what are very well established 'groups' of products. The only reason I can think of for doing it is to push people towards the next level of camera which I think is a bit of a stab in the back for those who've spent years buying and enjoying Canon products. I thought the 50D was a hasty and completely unnecessary camera, and I particularly disliked the fact they stated it would be a "sister model" to the 40D and then proceeded to halt 40D production. Personally I see the 60D as the end of a great line of cameras, which is very sad.

                          Nikon really are starting to look like a far better option!
                          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

                          My images on Flickr

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PMN View Post
                            Personally I see the 60D as the end of a great line of cameras, which is very sad.

                            Nikon really are starting to look like a far better option!
                            No, the 50D was the end of the line, the 60D is just the start of a re-brand for the Rebel range and at 1099 thats one hell of price hike. My money is on a rapid price reduction I just dont think this Camera will sell when you can get a 7D for just a little bit more.


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cja View Post
                              No, the 50D was the end of the line
                              I meant that, as in the coming of the 60D is the end, meaning the 50D was the last... Or something like that. I know what I mean!

                              I sure hope that price comes down a bit as well!
                              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

                              My images on Flickr

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X