My amazing Connie takeoff shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My amazing Connie takeoff shot

I took a ride today and did 2 flyby's down 13L and 13R at JFK! What really amazed me was this shot at takeoff at Farmingdale!

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Freaky

-Clovis

Comment

When I was looking at my shots, I spit coffee all over my keyboard! Wake vortices on the tips of the blades making a corkscrew effect and two huge vortices coming off the leading edge in between the two engines. I figured it was the glass until I realized that I had 5 different shots of the same thing. I did not even see it on takeoff. Freaky!!!

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Makes sense though, all props are are wings that are spinning around really quickly creating lift. If wings can make visible vorticies, then props can too. Only reasons props dont look like wings are because they are twisted to make the thrust (lift) they creat symetrical to equalize the pressure put on the prop. The outsie of the prop is spinning faster than the base, so it is bent so that it hits the air with less of an angle at the tips. If they didn't do this after a while the props would probably bend and then break. But yeah, I guess at the end of the prop, the air at the bottom (the denser air) flows around it to join the less dense air on the top. And if the temperature/humidity is right you can see it. Just like on a wing. Awesome shots though, I know I"ve seen that C-130s have the same effects somtimes.

Comment

Working...
        X