Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night at Sydney airport

Hey guys,

I need some help with night photography. I have barely experimented with it and I need some pointers. I know that you need to open the aperture as much as possible and then expose as needed. Is there a compromise because I was thinking some parts might get over exposed if I was trying something like a 60 second exposure of beacon trials but I had the aperture as open as possible?

That was just one thing I was wondering about, but ANY information would be very helpful. Thanks in advance fellow spotters.

Regards,
    Ian Irwin

P.s: I am spotting from the eski bar at Sydney but other spots around YSSY can be suggested and I am shooting with a Nikon D80 with a 18-70 and a 70-300 lens .

Well I want to say good luck with that. Shooting at night is pretty fun.
    I wouldn't recommend having your aperture wide open. For aircraft, I usually start off with about f8 and maybe adjust either way a little bit if need be.
    But yeah, really the best part is to just experiment and have fun with it. You get way less number of shots than you would in the daytime, but I think it's so much more worth it. Yeah, just experiment and have fun.

As for spotting at Sydney, I can't really help you there as I'm half a world away. There are plenty down under, though, so they can help you out more.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer View Post
      Well I want to say good luck with that. Shooting at night is pretty fun.
      I wouldn't recommend having your aperture wide open. For aircraft, I usually start off with about f8 and maybe adjust either way a little bit if need be.
      But yeah, really the best part is to just experiment and have fun with it. You get way less number of shots than you would in the daytime, but I think it's so much more worth it. Yeah, just experiment and have fun.

As for spotting at Sydney, I can't really help you there as I'm half a world away. There are plenty down under, though, so they can help you out more.
      COOL! Thanks a lot mate!

Comment

Last edited by Brenden S; 2010-11-17, 12:16.

Comment

The Eski bar is very limited in photo oportunities. However about iso 100 4 seconds and F5.6 is usually long enough. Here is an example.
          [photoid=6894846]

Eski Bar
          [photoid=6487541]
          [photoid=6056758]
          [photoid=6779786]

B767 at the holding point
          [photoid=236143]

B747 on 16R
          [photoid=236151]

Bizjet on the GA Apron
          [photoid=5632248]

[photoid=292194]

[photoid=292188]

From within the International Terminal
          [photoid=192149]
          [photoid=183155]
          Last edited by Brenden S; 2010-11-17, 13:17.

Comment

Brendan has said it all pretty much already, there isn't much scope for photography at night at that location.

You could try bumping the ISO on your camera a little bit (but no more than ISO400 on D80) and opening up the aperture a bit, depending on how your lens works at larger apertures.

A better option than static photos might be to try panning photos of landing planes if you can manage it. If your lens is 70-300mm VR, that might be a bit easier.

Comment

Originally posted by sst001 View Post
              Brendan has said it all pretty much already, there isn't much scope for photography at night at that location.

You could try bumping the ISO on your camera a little bit (but no more than ISO400 on D80) and opening up the aperture a bit, depending on how your lens works at larger apertures.

A better option than static photos might be to try panning photos of landing planes if you can manage it. If your lens is 70-300mm VR, that might be a bit easier.

Mmm I need to try the panning shots. Any tips? Or at least places other than eski bar to shoot?

Cheers

Comment

Panning shots is trial and error and luck. It all depends on how steady your hands are, and a Image stabilizing lens helps a long way. If you look at Seth's shots you will see his panning

[photoid=6819179]
                [photoid=6779786]
                [photoid=6779421]

Comment

Originally posted by iirwin View Post
                  Mmm I need to try the panning shots. Any tips? Or at least places other than eski bar to shoot?

Cheers
                  Try to use not less than 1/80sec - pan across with the subject, and shoot a burst of 3 or so images, holding down the shutter button as you do it.

I've never tried uploading images here, so I can only show these examples:

ISO10000, various shutter speeds between 1/13th and 1/15th sec and always F/4.0:
                  http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emira...861/1810589/M/
                  http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emira...-ER/1810588/M/
                  http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...t-object-1.jpg

ISO800, 260mm, F/4.0, 1/20sec:
                  http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...t-object-1.jpg

I used a tripod for those, but I've also done hand-held stuff at 1/60sec. The important thing is to track things smoothly and to avoid shake from pressing down the shutter button.

I tend to use a tripod and Wimberley Tripod Head version 2 most of the time, more for convenience than anything else. The lens and camera are too heavy to hold by hand for long amounts of time. that will change when I get the 28-300mm Nikkor lens.

In the morning, you can go around to the domestic terminal loop-road, walk up the stairs at at the end and you'll get a good view of RWY16R. This can also be okay on dull, rainy evenings at say 7:00pm:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufth...430/1820220/L/

I don't know what it will look like at night, but maybe the nearby domestic terminal might provide enough ambient light to counter the backlit effects of the international terminal and freight area.

Comment

Working...
                  X