I Think It's Time to Upgrade the Ol' Rebel XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think It's Time to Upgrade the Ol' Rebel XT

Me wants 60D or 7D. I found a 60D for $799 and a 7D for $1219.

I just need a little convincing to pull the trigger. I thoroughly enjoy night photos, preferably handheld, and cockpit shots with my Sigma 10-20 (best ultrawide lens ever). I think the 7D would be better in this case. However, as you'll see below, my spotting lens is a cheap 75-300 III USM.

Another option would be to go with the 60D and save a bit more for a 70-200 f/4L without IS. I'm coming from the 75-300, like I said, which has proven itself (and really made me learn how to edit in Photoshop). It's virtually unusable beyond 200mm though so I really wouldn't be losing any focal length.

$$$ is an issue at the moment unfortunately

I'd go cheaper body and get yourself some L glass. I daresay you'd get better results from a 60d and L lens than a 7D and 75-300. Once you've got L you simply wont want anything else. I've just upgraded to a 7D but I already have a 70-200 which is a fantastic combo. If I didn't have the L glass I'd be sticking with an older/cheaper body and upgrading to L first.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
      I'd go cheaper body and get yourself some L glass. I daresay you'd get better results from a 60d and L lens than a 7D and 75-300. Once you've got L you simply wont want anything else.
      James speaks the Gospel.Just as additional piece info the 60D is reported as behaving badly with non L glass in a lot of cases so if you can manage to get a new/very good 40D or 50D this may be an option and save you a few bucks.
      But a 7D with a plastic lens compared to any(even a 1000D)body with a 70-200 f/4L...there is no argument.Sure the 7D maybe better as regards noise and I agree with you re. the Sigma 10.5-20..but is most of your shooting night time shots,if not do as James suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism View Post
        Another option would be to go with the 60D and save a bit more for a 70-200 f/4L without IS. I'm coming from the 75-300, like I said, which has proven itself (and really made me learn how to edit in Photoshop). It's virtually unusable beyond 200mm though so I really wouldn't be losing any focal length.
        Just to play the devils advocate: the 70-200 is pretty much unusable beyond 200mm as well .....

Seriously: I agree with the above said, invest in better lenses instead of better body. The only real advantage of a 7D for you - judging by your post - could be the high ISO photo quality (please check some reviews to make sure, this is right), which will help you get better night shots. Other than that, a 60D with a 70-200 will be overall a better combo.

.... but I know by own experience, how appealing a new toy can be
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Are those prices new or used? because I'm also in the same situation, my XT is 5.5 years old, it's got 46k shots on the shutter and it's already acted up on me a couple of times.

I'm looking for a 7D or a 50D, as I already have a decent investment in memory cards, and I prefer CF over SD.
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Working...
          X