X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurry...but fixable?

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=3256181
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=3256217

I have always struggled with the blurry rejection because in a lot of cases, I just don't see it. Soft maybe, but not the blur. I would be grateful for some brutally honest thoughts and details as to where I should be making repairs.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

Dave

Dave Brook
    Cambridge, Ontario

Brutal ? mmmmmh

Bluriness is on the entire plane on both shots. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do as more sharpening doesn't erase blur but would just make the pic oversharpened...and still blurry.

Merry Xmas

Alex

PS : Is that brutal enough ? I can do better

Comment

Hi Dave,

The key to avoiding blur most of the time actually lies in your shooting technique and to analyse that we need to dive into the EXIF data, so let's look at the Air India 777:

Shutter Speed: 1/50th
      f-stop: f/9
      ISO: 400
      Focal Length: 500mm
      Metering Mode: Spot

We can immediately see they're very extreme settings but something that jumps out at me is the fact you used spot metering, which is something I'd pretty much never recommend when shooting aviation. In this mode your camera is reading only around 3% of the centre of the frame, and contrary to popular belief (and assuming the white of the fuselage is in that 3%) your camera isn't trying to make the whites appear white, it's actually trying to make them appear as middle grey! The problems this creates are fairly obvious; the aircraft is the brightest thing in the frame so the last thing you want is for that to be dark and have to brighten the image by a couple of stops in editing as this will increase noise. In all honesty, the fact this was shot in Spot metering makes it quite difficult to say what more appropriate settings would have been because the settings your camera has chosen would be vastly different had it been pointed in even a slightly different place. What we can do though is explain what's wrong with the settings you ended up with.

There's a great guide to avoid blur that I try drill into people I go through this stuff with, and that's the 1/focal length guide. Basically it states that to avoid blur from hand-holding your camera you should aim to have a shutter speed at least equal to or preferably slightly quicker than your focal length, so:

At 100mm ideally 1/125th or quicker
      At 160mm ideally 1/200th or quicker
      At 250mm ideally 1/400th or quicker
      At 500mm ideally 1/640th or quicker

From this example we can see that 1/50th at 500mm ain't gonna work! The shutter speed just isn't quick enough to freeze the image at those focal lengths unless the camera is mounted on a very sturdy tripod. There are ways we can gain some shutter speed when shooting in Av; we can increase ISO, open the aperture or add negative exposure compensation, but:

Increasing ISO brings more noise

Opening the aperture decreases the depth of field, and as DoF decreases as focal length increases you probably don't want to drop much below f/8 at 500mm.

Adding negative exposure compensation obviously darkens the image, meaning you have to brighten in editing increasing noise.

Considering the shutter speed needs to be over 10 times quicker in this case there isn't any realistic way you can do that from the settings you have without destroying the image by either noise or softness. As I say, the real problem here is the fact you've shot in Spot metering, so my recommendation would be change to something like centre-weighted or evaluative (also known as matrix). This will give you much more accurate exposure for these kind of scenes and will make the settings much easier to balance. Also bear in mind that zoom lenses tend to perform worse at their extremes, especially at the telephoto end. I assume you took these with the Sigma 50-500? If so then try avoid using it at 500mm. If you have enough shutter speed then you'll probably get sharper results by shooting nearer 400mm and cropping in a bit more because the lens itself will be producing a sharper, cleaner image.

Hope that made some vague kind of sense!
      Last edited by PMN; 2010-12-24, 12:57.
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

David I have to say you have such amazing shots from that tower! Such a shame those shots cannot be fixed
        Well, you'll just have to try again!
        Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
          Brutal ? mmmmmh

Bluriness is on the entire plane on both shots. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do as more sharpening doesn't erase blur but would just make the pic oversharpened...and still blurry.

Merry Xmas

Alex

PS : Is that brutal enough ? I can do better
          The Swiss way of telling it as it is...nothing wrong there Alex your reply is factual
          Later on we get the creme de la creme of a reply from Paul well done the original poster Dave should now be some what wiser.It is great that you take the time to share your knowledge and love for photography
          Happy Christmas to you Paul and Alex,Gerardo,Chris,James.....***...(Christmas drinks kicking in forgot someone)...oh yes I now remember.. Brian and all the rest of the Crew and all who upload and happy shooting in the New Year.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words David, very much appreciated! May you have a great Christmas and a very happy and productive 2011.

All the best.

Paul
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I'm off duty. HIC !!

Merry Xmas.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

A chance of a brutal reply and I miss it ... DARN!!!

Well, now that everything has been answered, I only have to say Merry christmas and ... HIC!
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Blurry for me is:

Show me a perfect picture when I have to many drinks and it looks blurry to me!

Show me a blurry picture when I'm sober and it gives me the impression I had to many drinks!

That's why I'm always confused when I have a blurry rejection!

By the way HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you!

Comment

Working...
                  X