New Camera - Canon 50D or 7D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Camera - Canon 50D or 7D?

Hi folks, I hope you have all had a great Christmas and of course a good year of spotting.

The time has come for me to upgrade my camera as my 40D (bought second hand 2 years ago) is on it's last legs with the shutter button beginning to fail badly making photography pretty hard, several times now I have missed 'the moment' due to sticky button, and when pressing even harder on the button, I now seem to be introducing camera shake.

I have narrowed my choice down to the two obvious camera's in the Canon range, the 50D which is the next step up from the 40D or the new Canon 7D. (Canon 5D is just too expensive)

The Canon 50D along with a 17-85mm lens can be found for around 650ish whilst the body alone can be found for 500. Considering I sold my old kit lens 18-55mm during the summer, it would be nice again to fill up the gap left in my lens line up. Does anybody have any experiences with either the 17-85mm lens or the Canon 50D?

The latter option, would be to go flat out and splash all my cash on a Canon 7D, refurbished to new condition by Canon for 850. I could probably live without the smaller lens for a few months and just borrow the girfriends 18-55mm, which might come handy for a trip to Lanzarote in January. Anyone with any experiences with the 7D?

Both the 50D and 7D come with autofocus micro adjustment option which could be quite handy.

Anybody with any experiences with either cameras? I really have no idea which to get, The 50D is appealing as during the tough times, it would be nice to save some money, however I don't want to end up 6 months down the line upgrading to the 7D when I could just do it now.

Decisions, decisions! Thanks in advance,

Dave

Well, I see you already have a 70-200F4L and since you don't need a telephoto for now I would buy a 7D. It is a great camera and is better than the 50D IMO. I think you should use your girlfriends 18-55 (IS?) if she doesn't mind, and look for used 17-85's, they can sell really cheap! Can't help you much as I just have a 1000D...
    Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

If you are happy enough with the 40D, the 50D is probably sufficient. The 7D is a few steps more than your 40D.

But then again, in your position I would go with the 7D And while the 50D is good enough for you, you probably wouldn't forget the 7D, as you apparently even looked at the 5D, right?

Just a question: did you check, how much a repair of your 40D would cost? This might get you one or two more years.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. Yea, I could get the 40D repaired plus general maintenance at a cost of 120 although that would take about 3-4 weeks to get done which really interupts with my time off in January which I have planned for spotting. So the chances are I'll get the 40D repaired later in the year and keep it as a back up or sell it onwards.

I also discovered the original 5D might be an option coming in at 600 for second hand. Although it's full framed and doesn't have the 1.6x crop but quality should be pretty damn good with better ISO performance than the 40D.

Obviously I enjoy uploading images at 1600 pixels and with the 40D, I'm just about achieving that OK, the 50D and 7D might make things easier. I'm torn between the 5D, 50D and the 7D.

The 7D would be ace, but at such a high price the quality would have to be immense to warrent it's purchase.

Dave

p.s. glad you finally took the plunge Jan and went for an SLR, the 1000D will do a grand job for you

Comment

Dave, perhaps this may help, as I am currently thinking about a replacement of my 20D to complement my 40D. I was between the 7D and the 5DMkII but decided to go for the latter. The reasoning is to have a 40D which is very good for spotting and the 5DMkII to have more possibilities with Full Frame and so on.

For you, a possibility could be to get a 50D, repair and have the 40D as a backup and in a few years time get a full frame to replace the 40D.

... just an idea of course.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I got a 7D to replace my 40D just over a month ago. I decided that a 50D wouldn't have been a step up enough and the 60D lacks a couple of extra niceties that the 7D has, although the 60D shouldn't be ignored as the initial histeria seems to be dying down and some positives are starting to come out. 7D just kicks ass though. I've only used it on one spotting session so far and have been very impressed with the resolution. I've been using it today too for family shots and it's rather nice. And th 1.6 crop factor just helps that little bit more when using my 70-200 as my full frame buddy (Mr Sharps) sometimes does moan a little about the lack of reach with his 5D2. And then I have 8fps for kicks...5D doesn't have that lol. As for me getting a 5D2...it's the wrong camera for me as I don't need a studio camera (but I do admit it is an awesome body).
            Last edited by B7772ADL; 2010-12-25, 18:16.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think if I bought the 50D, I'd be wanting an upgrade again after a few months so I'll just go ahead and get the 7D.

Assuming I can get a buy now, pay later deal on Jessops, I think I will purchase a brand spanking new 7D and pay it off over 6 months. It'll be the first time I ever buy a brand new camera, my past camera bodys have all been second hand.

It means I can also think about getting a smaller lens, and having rented a Canon 17-400mm L before, the thought of owing my own is tempting!

Thanks guys! Happy New Year to all!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by legoguy View Post
                having rented a Canon 17-400mm L before
                I want that lens!!
                Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                  I want that lens!!

@ legoguy, I spoke my my parents and told them that DSLR is the way to go if I want to continue what might possibly be my future, and I am glad I didn't buy a Canon SX30 IS, even with a whooping 35x zoom! I love the 55-250 IS lens for the price, and I really hope to go out spotting soon! I am already shooting JPG + RAW, I just need to get Photoshop (doesn't work anymore) .
                  Good luck with the 7D, I tried it before and it's a awesome camera!\
                  P.S, perfect combo: 24-105L + 100-400L
                  Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                    I want that lens!!

That would indeed be a cracking lens.

I took my 7D out today for a session and have to say that it was a very mixed bag of results. The exposure was all over the place and talking to a couple of other 7D owners they were facing the same issues. Something that will need to be overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
                      I took my 7D out today for a session and have to say that it was a very mixed bag of results. The exposure was all over the place and talking to a couple of other 7D owners they were facing the same issues. Something that will need to be overcome.
                      James, It would be interesting to hear more on this and how you get on adjusting to the 7D. Do you think it was worth the upgrade from the 40D? Also have you tried the camera's autofocus micro adjustments to optimise the autofocusing with each lens with the camera? I have yet to hear of any aviation photographer trying it.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by legoguy View Post
                        James, It would be interesting to hear more on this and how you get on adjusting to the 7D. Do you think it was worth the upgrade from the 40D? Also have you tried the camera's autofocus micro adjustments to optimise the autofocusing with each lens with the camera? I have yet to hear of any aviation photographer trying it.

Dave
                        I'll let you know when I get around to editing them. My editing computer is in bits at the moment after moving and wont be put back together for a bit yet.

As for the micro adjustment I've not tried it yet. To be honest I'm not really sure how it works and need to read into it a little bit. I know one of the MAN spotters had used it on his 50D and 100-400 and seems to get some very sharp results now.

Comment

I will chime in to the discussion now!

I own both the 7D and 5D2 cameras as James mentioned and find the 7D to be a great camera, very good AF and FPS, etc but as i'm used to a 5D2 i find other things about it very frustrating. The amount of noise at ISO 100 is just infuriating. I find to get something that doesn't bother me you have to shoot RAW and verge on the side of overexposing so not to have anything underexposed to stop that shadow noise creeping in. Like James mentioned i also find the metering to be perfectly bizarre! I was showing James the back of my 7D yesterday and he was scratching his head as my 7D/100-400 had got a totally different exposure to his 7D/70-200. Then at times they would match and then at times mine would be good and his would be a bit whack. It's rather weird. I find to overcome this shooting Manual is the best way. Work with your histogram to get a good base exposure and then use that and be ready to flick your thumn wheel to dial up or down 1/3-1/2 stop depending on the livey of the aircraft.

If i was in your position i would really consider an older 5D2 second hand. They can be picked up for around 1000 in good condition and if you can live with the slower FPS and the slightly slower AF (although still more responsive than the 40D) then you will have a camera that produces these huge smooth sharp files. The files from my 5D2 are noise free, sharp, big enough for some cropping and just lovely to work with.

We were shooting yesterday at 3:30-3:45pm and as you know the light was dim in London then. With snow on the ground we were getting some nice reflection to the undersides of the aircraft and i was shooting at ISO800 F5.6/F6.3 1/60th-1/80th on my 5D2/70-200 combo and still getting very uploadable results. James was also shooting there so maybe he can post a 7D file from that time to show some results. I'll post a 5D2 file at some point too.
                          Chris Sharps
                          5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                          17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                          24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                          1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

That is weird with the exposure. When my wife and I are shooting together there is not more than 0,3ev difference between the D200 and the D300 and that difference is constant with the D200 under exposing a little more than the D300. Even if we trade lenses, the difference remains constant.
                            My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                            My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                            ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                              That is weird with the exposure. When my wife and I are shooting together there is not more than 0,3ev difference between the D200 and the D300 and that difference is constant with the D200 under exposing a little more than the D300. Even if we trade lenses, the difference remains constant.
                              Yup, that is how the canon's should be which leads me to believe there is an issue somewhere within the 7D. It is a great camera it just requires constant monitoring that it's behaving, you cant just leave it and expect it to be correct all the time. The 5D2 and my 1D2 are fine tho.

I keep getting tempted more and more to the world of Nikon Stefan. Just ask James, i'm always bleeting on about wanting to get Nikon too. lol
                              Chris Sharps
                              5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                              17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                              24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                              1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Working...
                              X